Reading the Left Behind Series

iVillage Member
Reading the Left Behind Series
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 10:20pm
I am finally reading the Left Behind Series. I started it ages ago when the books first came out and stopped after the 1st 2 to wait for more of the books to come out. I was going to wait for all 7 then 7 became 12! What I am really doing is listening to all of the books on tape on my commute to and from work. I'm almost at the end of Apollyon now and will need to get the next book on tape by Friday or Monday. What I find facinating is how much the anti-christ attitudes in the book parallel the views of some of our world leaders. I also find it surprising how the author managed to weave in humor in some of the most unexpected places. Some of the lines made me laugh out loud.

I've read some reviews on these books and some people who probably know alot more that I do about prophecy have a problem with the series. I guess from my vantage point of seeing movies about the rapture and end times, reading books (fiction and not) and articles on the end times I noticed this: That no one agrees on what is going to happen but everyone agrees you need to have Jesus in your heart. And that is my prayer for this book series, that all those who don't know Jesus and read it accept Him as their savior.

~Ruth

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 11:27pm
I have the text file of what I assume is the *complete* first book of the series. I should open it up and read a bit at a time, to see what I think.

Glad you're enjoying the experience!

Becca :)

Random siggy powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-10-2003 - 7:21pm
I'm having a book discussion with myself, LOL! Maybe it will end up being an ongoing book review.

The more I "read" these books the more concerned I get about the content. Not prophecy wise but...don't any of the christians pray? Especially the leaders? There's a lot of pleading going on such as "Please get us out of this" and "Please dont let me die" but that's about it. No standing on the Word. No praying God's promises of protection. Also, no gathering together to worship or having underground church services. I know it's going to be the most challenging time of all for Christians but I honestly think the Christians during the tribulation will truly find the supernatural joy of the Lord to be their strength.

Thats my view so far! I'd really like to hear what those who have read the books think of them.

~Ruth

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-10-2003 - 11:57pm
I started to read the first chapter of Book One, but it was boring. At first it was just a guy fantasizing about having an affair - though realistic, it just wasn't interesting - and then I couldn't follow what the next section was about. A journalist covering some news story - didn't get what - in Israel. I really should give the book another shot, but there's no incentive for me so far. I mean, can this person actually write, or are Christians buying the books simply because the subject is the end times?

Sorry if I come off harsh, since I know there are some who enjoyed the books. Please tell me it's worth my time to try again!

Becca

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-12-2003 - 5:03pm
I'll be brief, but I think that it's because the Christians in the books are new Christians and don't really have much in the way of Spiritual leaders. I think that your criticism is correct, they really aren't responding in the way that I hope I would, but they are new belivers and I think that shows their immaturity in Christ.

Just a thought.

S

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-12-2003 - 11:19pm
It's funny you should say that Stacey, because I was talking to a friend of mine about that very thing. I told her at first I thought that maybe it's because the characters in the books are baby christians. And then I thought, well, the authors are not baby christians. Certainly they can see the importance of having underground services and standing on the promises of God to see the post rapture Christians through. And my thought process eventually came to the conclusion that I really think God somehow, someway would enable these Christians to do that. Just like He would provide someone like Tsion to interpret the prophecy scriptures.

And to Becca, it IS kind of confusing in the first book because they are setting everything up. Have you seen the movie by the way? It's a pretty good representation of most of the 1st book.

~Ruth

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-12-2003 - 11:47pm
Maybe I should get the movie then!

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 12:03am
Hi all . . . I have read 10 of the books and am getting ready to start the 11th. The first book like said before is slow because it is giving you background on all the important characters. Once the characters have been described, the book moves quickly. I really loved the series and am captured by the drama. I do agree that there is not enough about worshipping together in the first book, but they are newbies and do not really know how. I have been a christian for a long time, and I think it would be difficult for me to worship without the leaders of my church. The following books do have moments where the group (tribulation force) prays with each other for strength and understanding.

I have to disagree with the movie though, I thought the movie was very bad It left out key points that are important to the understanding. But I enjoy books more than movies anyway. I have not found one movie that does justice to a book.

Anyway that is my 2Cents worth.

Charity

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 2:19pm
Welcome Charity! I'm so glad to see your new face here on the Christian Bookshelf. Thanks for posting on this great series.

We'd love to get to know you better. Please keep posting and we will!

Stacey

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-22-2003 - 2:02pm
Hi Charity, welcome to the board!

I love the fact that so many people can read the same book and have so many different points of view. I actually liked the movie better than the book, LOL! I even read the book first. I guess that's what makes us all so interesting, seeing or reading things from our different perspectives in life!

~Ruth

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-14-2004 - 3:23am
Hi my name is Molly and I also have been reading the Left Behind Series. I began when it started out in '93 with the first one up to Soul Harvest. Just recently with the new one coming out (31 more days!) I began to get back into reading them. I started going going into my local library and began pouring into each one like they were going to be sold out. As of a few days ago I finally finished Armagedon. I was happy, excited, and sad at the same time. Becuase I realized once Glorious Appearing comes out its the end no more. I have already put a hold at the library for this one. I am just waiting each day for March 30th. I work at a Christian Bookstore and talk with customers about it alot. That is one of the reasons I got hooked back on the books. Now I am getting into whatever else I can find in that genre or close enough. If you guys have any ideas I would really like it. I am so excited to find a Christian Readers group. Its so cool! Thanks for letting me talk about this. Looking forward to hearing and talking more with you all.

Molly

Pages