Man Jailed For Circumcision

iVillage Member
Man Jailed For Circumcision
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 11:22am
What’s the big deal here? It’s a family decision! There will be no memory of the pain and it will be cleaner and easier to keep clean. Nobody has any right to question their decision. The parents always do what they think is best for their child. No parent would do something they thought was harmful to their child just because they wanted to. Surely there are some “potential health benefits.” Why would this child want to be different from the parent? What if the other kids laughed in the locker room?

http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/metro/gwinnett/0303/29charges.html

Duluth man accused of circumcising daughter

By LATEEF MUNGIN

Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

In Africa, it's a cultural celebration. In Gwinnett, (County, GA) it is a crime.

Police arrested a 27-year-old man Friday morning for allegedly circumcising his 2-year-old daughter with a pair of scissors.

Khalid Adem of Duluth (GA) was charged with cruelty to children and aggravated battery, said Cpl. Dan Huggins.

Police were alerted to the incident by Adem's wife this week. The actual circumcision took place in 2001, Huggins said.

"I can't remember ever having a case like this," he said. Adem and his wife are from Ethiopia, police said.

The traditional African practice of female circumcision has been denounced for decades by health and human rights activists. In some areas in Africa the act can involve a coming-of-age ritual celebrated with feasting, drumming, dancing and gifts.

Opponents claim the act, that may involve the removal of the clitoris or all of the external genitalia, is extremely painful and unsafe.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that more than 160,000 girls and women in immigrant communities in the United States may have undergone circumcision.

An estimated 135 million of the world's women and girls have undergone circumcision, according to Amnesty International.

Adem allegedly committed the act at his home in the 2000 block of Satellite Boulevard. A medical examination confirmed the procedure had been performed, Huggins said.

Adem is being held at the Gwinnett County jail in lieu of a $100,000 bond .

It happens to 3,500 boys every day and they locked this guy up. And a $100,000 bond? I think somebody is blowing this way out of proportion. Must be a bunch of gay, extremist, mentally unbalanced, cultist, anti-circs!

Frank

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 9:04pm
Glad to see you weren't serious about all those myths. This quote sounds VERY familiar to me. What does this sound like? Oh, yeah, MALE circumcision. I don't understand why only our daughters are protected from the ignorance of their parents.

"In some areas in Africa the act can involve a coming-of-age ritual celebrated with feasting, drumming, dancing and gifts. Opponents claim the act, that may involve the removal of the clitoris or all of the external genitalia, is extremely painful and unsafe.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 9:01am
Well aside from the female circumcision... a person would also be jailed for taking a pair of scissors to their 2 year old boy too!
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 12:47pm
But, a doctor would also be jailed for circumcising an underage female, even if done under proper medical conditions. It's illegal to circumcise a girl under the age of 18, and you can only do it at 18 with her consent. That is the protection I would like to see given to our sons as well. And, before anyone comments on the Jewish right to practice their religion, Muslims circumcise their daughters and sons, but their right to circumcise their daughters for religious reasons has been made illegal. The right to practice your religion stops when it infringes on the rights of another person. Our children are other people, with their own rights.
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 12:12am
I'm not too sure about that. What law would be broken that a doctor or mohel wouldn't be breaking?

Frank

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 12:17am
Well, FFM, It's only a problem if it's somebody else's religion, right? I'll bet the Africans defend their religious pracrtices just as vigorously as the Jews.

Frank

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 1:28pm
I'm not seeing it defended as strongly in the US.
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 2:39pm
So what is the difference if the child is two days old or two years old? Is it the fact that he can speak, noone wants to hear the details of his pain, they would just rather listen to their baby cry and dismiss it as oh he's hungry or tired instead of admitting that hes crying because his little penis is in great pain from being torn apart? Please, there is no difference other than vocalization.

Pain is pain no matter if you are two days, two years old, famale or male. Having part of your genitals cut apart while you are wide awake, not to mention the recovery period is going to cause you great pain.

Whats good for the goose is good for the gander. Genitals should not be cut PERIOD. All children deserve protection regardless of age or gender. No this man was not right in what he did to his daughter, but neither are the countless people who offer up their sons for the same treatment. The child or baby is not going to care who is weilding the scissors,(or knife or clamp) doctor, father, religious leader. Circumcision hurts and circumcision scars, no matter what way you try to rationalize it.

Tara

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 3:38pm
I agree,any parent who decides to chop up their child with a pair of sissors deserves jail.This sounds more like an abuse issue than a circ issue.
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 7:51pm
So what is the difference between parents doing it themselves and paying someone else to do it to their child--the abuse happens in either case.. Seems like a bit of cultural blindness and just a bit morally and ethically bankrup in either case... and jail is appropriate for both.

"I agree,any parent who decides to chop up their child with a pair of sissors deserves jail.This sounds more like an abuse issue than a circ issue.?

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 8:29pm
Apparently, it depends on whether the chopping was done by a person with a medical degree and whether or not the chopping was done in a medical setting. You know, scissors are used during part of a hospital circumcision, right? And, a mohel uses a knife, unless he does it the traditional way. Then, he uses his sharpened and specially shaped finger nail.

Pages