If insurance didn't pay, would you circ?

iVillage Member
If insurance didn't pay, would you circ?
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 1:03pm
If parents actually had to write a check for the operation, how many would? Are we seeing any stratification of society already because medicaid won't pay for it?

Julie

9 out of 10 carseats are installed wrong.  Could yours be?

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 3:11pm
Unfortunately in our area (Ontario, Canada) parents still do circumcise eventhough they have to pay. The cost of a circumcision in our town is $200.(This varies by region) $50 for the doctor, $150 for the hospital. Mind you the rate has gone WAY down since I was born. In our area, about 95% of babies born in the 1970's were circed, now the intact kids are the majority. Our area is still pretty high compared to the rest of the province and country somewhere around 35-40% circed. Ontario stopped paying for circs in 1996 I believe. But the real turning point was when the CPS(Canadian pediatric society) recomended against it in 1975. Numbers have been steadily dropping since then.

As for the question "If insurance didn't pay would you circ?" No. And the answer would be the same even if it was paid for.

Take care!

Tara&Callum

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 8:59pm
I wouldn't circ another son even if someone paid *ME* to have it done! You can't give your son his foreskin back, and should he ever tell you, as mine has, that he would have chosen to remain intact, you have nothing to offer him but to say you're sorry you took his choice away. If one of my intact sons should ever come to me and say they wished they were circ'd (which I doubt will happen), I could simply tell them they have that option once they're 18. Until that time, I'm protecting their right to choose for themselves by leaving them intact.
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 9:05am
Our "health plan" would have paid for newborn circ, but we saved them the money and left our boy intact. I hope they spend it on REAL medical care!

John C.

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 3:33pm
My insurance does not cover circ,b/c it does not consider it a "needed" procedure.However we will being ciring our son due 8/4/03 for many reasons.

Lynn
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 7:54pm
Poor sweet little guy.
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 8:25pm
My insurance doesn't cover elective cosmetic surgery, which circumcision is, either.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 1:28pm
And the amputation of how much of what genital tissue from a girl baby would those reasons justify?
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 2:13pm
I do agree that he is going to be a sweet little guy, but in no way poor. I've read cl_prizim74's profile and posts on other boards and she seems to be a wonderful mom and person. She is very involved as a cl here and is active on many other boards. I'm sure her son will be well loved and well cared for.

If you want to debate with her fine, no need to partonize her with remarks like this.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 10:32pm
I don't think she intended it as a slight against the parents. I think she was referring to the fact that he would be suffering pain and trauma needlessly as well as having his choice of what penis style he wants to have taken away from him at birth.

I was a terrific mother too, but my son suffered pain and bleeding for two weeks after his circ, refused to eat for several days after it (causing weight loss), and had adhesions twice (the last time being at 9 months) which caused additional pain when they were treated by being separated. He missed out on the benefits of breastfeeding, since his circumcision induced nursing strike interfered with the establishment of an adequate milk supply. In addition, he grew up to decide he would have preferred to have remained intact. However, unlike his intact younger brothers who could always get a circumcision if they want to, he doesn't have the choice to become intact. It sounds like the comment is reasonable to me, the mom of another poor, sweet, little guy who also suffered from his parents choice of having a circumcision performed on him.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-09-2003 - 3:21am
And what might those reasons be?

Pages