Circ the first 'helicopter parent' act?

iVillage Member
Circ the first 'helicopter parent' act?
Sun, 07-12-2009 - 9:39am

Is circumcision the first act of a 'helicopter parent'?  A helicopter parent, according to Wiki (sorry, terrible source, lol) is "a colloquial, early 21st-century term for a parent who pays extremely close attention to his or her child's or children's experiences and problems, particularly at educational institutions. These parents rush to prevent any harm or failure from befalling them and will not let them learn from their own mistakes, sometimes even contrary to the children's wishes. They are so named because, like helicopters, they hover closely overhead, rarely out of reach, whether their children need them or not."  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicopter_parent

ABC News says a helicopter parent is one who hovers over their children from cradle to college.  http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/AmericanFamily/story?id=3699441&page=1

Some reasons parents use to justify circumcision on infants seem to be about lifelong control over their children.  If they circ now, when the child can not refuse, the parent subconsciously hopes to control certain things about their child's future, whether it be religion, hygiene, or sex practices.  Could this be one reason why circ is still so prevalent in American culture?  Since we can not follow our children into the shower, bedroom, or force them into a religious house of worship as adults - must we surgically alter them at birth as our only means of lifelong control in their lives? 

KristiHannahPiperJackson1.jpg picture by itsirkmr

ththintactbabyboy.gif picture by itsirkmrprobabies.gif picture by itsirkmrXBF1.gif picture by itsirkmr

March08blinkie.gif picture by itsirkmr

"Belief is not required.  Once you know this story

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-12-2009 - 9:52am
I think you are absolutely correct.
iVillage Member
Sun, 07-12-2009 - 10:13am
One of the arguments against female circumcision is that it is about controlling the woman, and therefore unethical and illegal in America.

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-12-2009 - 11:24am

"One of the arguments against female circumcision is that it is about controlling the woman, and therefore unethical and illegal in America."

Hmmm. Interesting point.

"Why are our sons not protected in the same way?"

I've been asking that one for a while!! As have others, of course.

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-12-2009 - 6:01pm

Not living in the US, it's hard for me to say, of course!

"Some reasons parents use to justify circumcision on infants seem to be about lifelong control over their children."

How do these parents exhibit this justification? Do they openly acknowledge a sense of control when circumcising their boys? It seems a strange way to justify the act.

Christopher

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-12-2009 - 8:09pm

I don't see it as a control issue with the parents I know that circumcised.

Out of fear.... yes. Being given information that intactness needs special care and is more likely to be problematic and coupled with the fact that the dh wants it done. Plus, when 'everybody' around them does it, it is hard to realize that it is indeed, a big deal and worth looking into.

Plus, the majority of medical professionals are trained to be neutral and nonjudgmental about circumcision. They are taught ways to 'pacify' parents and comfort them, and probably believe it too.

I strongly believe that it is really looked at like a 'shot' or other procedure that is uncomfortable or painful that is done as a preventative.

Jessica

2008.10.first siggie

Sweetpeas 4 year blinkiePhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

<Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-16-2009 - 8:55am
Where I see circumcising a child as a control issue is in the context of religion - not sure if we can discuss that here - but the parent is forcing their belief onto the child. What if a person, circumcised as a child, decided to take up the Hindu faith for example, when Hindus do not allow any body modification?
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-16-2009 - 8:57pm

I think that is a ridiculous thought that circumcision is used to control their children?

Amber- mommy to Hunter Scott, 6 years

<

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-16-2009 - 10:56pm

"And what some people aren't pointing out here is that female circumsicion is used in other countries to control women because it prevents them from having orgasms.

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-16-2009 - 11:07pm

Hmmm, I thought I had responded to your question, a few days ago, but the post does not seem to be here???

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-17-2009 - 7:28am

'And what some people aren't pointing out here is that female circumsicion is used in other countries to control women because it prevents them from having orgasms.

SMFBluvrownchar2.png

Pages