The Terror of Circumcision?

iVillage Member
The Terror of Circumcision?
Sun, 07-12-2009 - 11:58pm

It's this that leaves me incredulous that the USA still circumcises its boys. See the following from a mother who had circumcised her son. Yes, just one mother's experience; but how many others, too?

"I'm finding myself obsessing more and more about it. It's absolutely horrible. I didn't know how horrific it was going to be. It was the most gruesome thing I have ever done in my life. I told the doctor as soon as he was done, if I had a gun, I would have killed him. I swear I would be in jail today if I did have a gun'."

Here is the link from an admittedly 'old' report (1999, I think); but I was debating the issue back then and today's debate is still the same.

http://www.cirp.org/library/psych/goldman1/#n21

Terror... child and mother. Her psychological trauma is as real as her son's. Even I was traumatised following my circumcision in 2002, despite that fact (or perhaps because of it?) I had no choice.

Now, I realise that some/many parents - father or mother - who choose to do this may never experience the distress this woman lives with. Does that negate her terror or does it speak of a suppressed but similar distress in parents who unwarily circumcise their boys?

Christopher

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-13-2009 - 9:08pm

It seems no one has a view about this.

Perhaps 'terror' is too strong a word? I'm absolutely certain I would have felt terror had I been circumcised as an infant with little or no anaesthetic.

As a parent, persuaded by cultural norm to have my son circumcised? Watching the act and hearing his screams would leave me inwardly crying out: "What have I done??!!"

Is anybody there? Am I talking in a vacuum? Or is this what we have all heard before: 'old hat' and not worthy of a response? That much I can understand.

Christopher

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-13-2009 - 9:43pm

I wish more parents spoke up, but it is busy work being a parent.
The saddest is that 10 years later parents are still going through this-- realizing they made a horrible decision, and that their son paid a great price.
On another board there's a signature similar to this:
Circumcision scars our sons for life and is a wound to a mothers heart forever

Please correct my version if you know it, dd fell asleep on me so I'm keeping this short.
Jessica

2008.10.first siggie

Sweetpeas 4 year blinkiePhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

<Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-14-2009 - 12:26pm
Well, it's not *my* experience, but I heard about it a lot growing up.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-14-2009 - 2:09pm
For starters, my admiration goes to your mom for her open mind to research and stand her ground against heavy opposition, Jen.
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-14-2009 - 2:26pm

<>

Just as an FYI, some of us don't visit the board regularly, maybe only once or twice a week, so sometimes responses may not come for a couple of days or more.

2010 Siggy
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-14-2009 - 4:38pm

You know, I honestly have no clue why my dad wanted it done.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-14-2009 - 5:24pm

Jen, thank you for your sad, personal tale and your willingness to share it. I'm lost for words...

Christopher

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-14-2009 - 5:57pm

Thank you, everyone. I should have been more patient!

It's tales like Dick's and Jen's that highlight the huge injustice done to little boys in this way. And when family conflict is a direct consequence the tragedy is exacerbated.

If only...

Christopher

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-14-2009 - 7:48pm

“Now, I realise that some/many parents - father or mother - who choose to do this may never experience the distress this woman lives with. Does that negate her terror or does it speak of a suppressed but similar distress in parents who unwarily circumcise their boys?”

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-15-2009 - 12:05am

Tiger -

CL - Circumcision Debate

Pages