Dan and Jennifer...

iVillage Member
Dan and Jennifer...
Tue, 07-14-2009 - 11:26pm

An example of American media NOT promoting circumcision. Is this becoming increasingly evident or is it still very rare?

For me, it's yet another indication of the huge divide between the US and other advanced nations with regard to circumcision. In the UK, for example, we would stare, wide-eyed and perplexed, if something of this kind was presented on our TV screens. But of course, it would never happen - or only in one of the popular comic/satirical shows such as QI or Have I got News for You?

The message Dan and Jennifer give is: THINK.

Yes... if you are pro-circ or pro-parental choice, please think before you make a decision that can never be remedied.

http://www.5min.com/Video/The-Truth-About-Circumcision-109269783

Christopher

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-15-2009 - 3:12pm

"....An example of American media NOT promoting circumcision. Is this becoming increasingly evident or is it still very rare?....

I hate to disagree with you, Christopher (and I really, really, really, wish that I could agree with you on this one!).

Unless I am totally mistaken, this is an internet "program" or "show", not a mass media TV segment. Thus, I would not exactly call it an example of American media in the mass-reaching, practical sense.

But one thing is sure, though: something like that segment(albeit better produced, more focused on the message, with less disorganized chatter between the two announcers, etc.) and with the same no-circumcision message has ZERO chances of seeing the waves (or the cable) in American TV. On the other hand, the reverse (i.e. a similar pro-circ message), encounters little resistance for dissemination).

Regards,

Federico.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-15-2009 - 6:27pm

Federico, thank you for your response. I'm aware it's an Internet-based clip, but it's all part of the media world we live with today.

It's certainly not mass-media, I agree. My (foolish?) hope was that items like this could be the precursor to an eventual, fairer presentation of the facts.

Christopher

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-15-2009 - 10:39pm

I think you're right there islay. While not 'mainstream' media. Content like that is becoming increasingly mainstream. Something like that will reach a lot of people.

For example this video is available on Youtube and has been viewed over 17000 times.

http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet?all_comments&v=ZDXXkBOGBiA&fromurl=/watch%3Fv%3DZDXXkBOGBiA%26feature%3DPlayList%26p%3D6F8BAB887F1A0E23%26playnext%3D1%26playnext_from%3DPL%26index%3D104

Edited 7/15/2009 10:42 pm ET by fellowtraveler

Edited 7/15/2009 10:54 pm ET by fellowtraveler
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-16-2009 - 12:22am

No problem, Christopher.

I originally stated my point since in your message you had brought up TV into the (no pun intended) picture ("In the UK, for example, we would stare, wide-eyed and perplexed, if something of this kind was presented on our TV screens."). Thus, it looked to me like an asymmetrical comparison.

But it is true. Internet is increasingly becoming a media for mass-dissemination, one step at a time, and any bit helps (I just wish that clip had been better produced and scripted, though).

Regards,

Federico

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-16-2009 - 7:36pm

It's an encouraging number, Fellowtraveler. A million mark will be a milestone!

I found some of the responses unnecessarily crude and others downright inaccurate, but that's the way of YouTube! We have to sift the wheat from the dross.

Christopher

CL - Circumcision Debate