ACS's public response to AAP Bias

iVillage Member
ACS's public response to AAP Bias
Sun, 07-19-2009 - 9:12pm

http://www.fathermag.com/health/circ/acs/

http://www.cirp.org/library/statements/letters/1996-02_ACS/

Quack cancer claims reveal bias of AAP

Pediatricians have a vested interest in encouraging you to circumcise your child. They make money by selling surgery.

Their organization, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) provided a brochure for use by pediatricians. This brochure claimed that cancer may be prevented if you circumcise your child.

When the American Cancer Society (ACS) became aware of this brochure, two highly placed ACS representatives sent a letter of disciplinary tone to the AAP, and took the further step of making the letter public.

Before receiving this information, the AAP could claim that they were somehow unaware that their claims were false or exaggerated. Having been duly informed, the AAP must take action to correct their mistake.

The following letter is dated February 16, 1996, yet many pediatricians continue to profit from unnecessary surgery by misleading parents with claims that they can prevent cancer. If you were sold unnecessary surgery for your child after this date, as a result of false or exaggerated claims by the AAP and your pediatrician, then you may have grounds for a lawsuit.

Allowing your child to be subjected to unnecessary surgery exposes him to the dangerous, sometimes fatal infections that can be acquired in a hospital. "Fatalities caused by circumcisionaccidents may approximate the mortality rate from penilecancer," says the American Cancer Society. Perhaps more important, penile cancer mortality would affect a man nearing the end of his life, and routine circumcision accidents damage and kill children just beginning their lives.

Letter from the American Cancer Society

As representatives of the American Cancer Society, we would like to discourage the American Academy of Pediatrics from promoting routine circumcision as a preventive measure for penile or cervical cancer. The American Cancer Society does not consider routine circumcision to be a valid or effective measure to prevent such cancers.

Research suggesting a pattern in the circumcision status of partners of women with cervical cancer is methodologically flawed, outdated, and has not been taken seriously in the medical community for decades.

Likewise, research claiming a relationship between circumcision and penile cancer is inconclusive. Penile cancer is an extremely rare condition, affecting one in 200,000 men in the United States. Penile cancer rates in countries which do not practice circumcision are lower than those found in the United States. Fatalities caused by circumcision accidents may approximate the mortality rate from penile cancer.

Portraying routine circumcision as an effective means of prevention distracts the public from the task of avoiding the behaviors proven to contribute to penile and cervical cancer: especially cigarette smoking, and unprotected sexual relations with multiple partners. Perpetuating the mistaken belief that circumcision prevents cancer is inappropriate.

Sincerely,

(signed)
Hugh Shingleton, M.D.
National Vice President Detection & Treatment

(signed)
Clark W. Heath, Jr., M.D.
Vice President Epidemiology & Surveillance Research

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-20-2009 - 1:54am

What a fantastic letter, thanks for sharing that.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-20-2009 - 2:51am

You're welcome.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-20-2009 - 7:52am
Amazing in a country like Israel where the circumcision rate is
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-20-2009 - 8:49am

Do you have factual data from medical professionals to support you claim?

Or is this another case of typos ??

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-20-2009 - 9:45am

LOL!

Really. I mean, 99% I could believe, but the extra .9 is a hard pill to swallow...

LOL!

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-20-2009 - 6:11pm

Tiger, the published ACS letter I had not seen before, though I was aware of it many years ago. So thank you!

Christopher

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

Edited 7/20/2009 9:56 pm ET by cl-islaywhisky

Edited 7/20/2009 9:58 pm ET by cl-islaywhisky

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-20-2009 - 6:34pm

"Tiger, the published ACS letter I have to seen before, though I was aware of it many years ago. So thank you!"

("I have to seen before, though I was aware of it" ... what were you trying to say?)

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-20-2009 - 10:01pm

Typos, Tiger - sorry!

I have corrected them...

Christopher

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-20-2009 - 11:06pm

Now I understand ,

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-20-2009 - 11:10pm
Cancer.org has that information on its site. Not the letter but essentially, the link between penile cancer and circumcision is either not credible or so small it doesn't matter.

Pages