Another Circumcision Video...

iVillage Member
Another Circumcision Video...
Thu, 07-30-2009 - 12:46am

... as distressing as any other. Plastibell, which seems to be ubiquitous now, but no more or less painful than any other method.

Note the initial comment and acceptance that the prepuce must be torn away from the glans. Note the physician's unheeding intent to complete the procedure regardless of the little boy's terrible distress. Yes, it's all so 'normal' in the US...

Listen to the physician's constant reference to "trimming" the foreskin - as if its total removal is just a 'little off the top', as in a haircut.

How many parents really think for a moment what their decision involves, without a thought for their baby son's agony - who they undoubtedly love?

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2614544/plastibell_infant_circumcision/

It's worth noting that I came by this link via a depiction of mass Ugandan adult circumcision ceremonies. Which begs the questions:  do US Americans support rituals like this? Are they influenced by them? Or are most so contained within their insular perception of normality, they give little heed to what others do?

Christopher

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-30-2009 - 7:11am
You know, even if all these potential benefits of RIC were real and guaranteed I still would
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-30-2009 - 10:01am

I've always said that the pain is not the biggest issue for me in why I am against it. My biggest issue is the damage which is always does to the functioning of the penis, and it being without the consent of the patient.

But, that video is certainly horrible to watch. If everyone had to watch that, I'm certain infant circumcision rates would fall dramatically, even if people still know nothing about how the foreskin works.

I'm not sure how those who perform this procedure can do it. Those cries go straight to my heart.

Rose, loved for life by Meghan and mama to Michael Lloyd (24th May 2005) and Ella Morghan (5th Jan 2008). Co-parenting with André and René. Hoping to

Rose, loved for life by Meghan and mama to Michael Lloyd (24th May 2005), Ella Morghan (5th Jan 2008) and Jolie Bryna (12th May 2010). Co-parenting with André and René.
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-30-2009 - 10:10am
Denial is a powerful thing.

KristiHannahPiperJackson1.jpg picture by itsirkmr

"Belief is not required.  Once you know this story

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-30-2009 - 11:26am
My husband was present during each and every one of my children. None of them screamed or cried hardly at all. I cleaned them after and saw the redness etc. It was present for such a short period of time so for you to say we have ZERO idea of what is going on is an insult.
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-30-2009 - 12:05pm

I can't bring myself to watch the video.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-30-2009 - 12:10pm
I'm glad at least your husband accompanied your sons.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-30-2009 - 7:30pm

"I've always said that the pain is not the biggest issue for me in why I am against it. My biggest issue is the damage which is always does to the functioning of the penis, and it being without the consent of the patient."

Yes, I know you

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-30-2009 - 7:45pm

"I am not American, but I don't think Americans would support mass circumcisions of adults, nor do I believe they are influenced by them, other than to say "too bad his parents didn't get him "done" as a baby!".

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-31-2009 - 12:33am

I'm sorry, but this additional link to yet another video is the most heart-rendering of its kind I have seen - and I have seen very many.

To those who cannot bear to see more than a few seconds of similar videos, I understand. I wish there was some way to block out the little boy's distress, for

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-31-2009 - 9:45am

Again, I ask (and hopefully this one

KristiHannahPiperJackson1.jpg picture by itsirkmr

"Belief is not required.  Once you know this story

Pages