Are you kidding me?

iVillage Member
Are you kidding me?
Fri, 07-31-2009 - 9:53am

I have tried to email the community moderators, with no response - so maybe someone one the board can answer me -

Are we really not allowed to debate here?  Do we just have to say I am against circ and leave it at that?

Is making a comparison between our culture and African tribal cultures seriously not allowed?  What is the point of a debate board of we can not debate?  I am really disturbed by this.  I have seen extremely biting things said about prolife people on other debate boards, for example.  So I find it repugnant that something so simple as a cultural comparison posted for debate would get deleted.  I am very disappointed. 

KristiHannahPiperJackson1.jpg picture by itsirkmr

ththintactbabyboy.gif picture by itsirkmrprobabies.gif picture by itsirkmr

March08blinkie.gif picture by itsirkmr

"Belief is not required.  Once you know this story

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-31-2009 - 10:07am

Hi, Kristi.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-31-2009 - 10:36am
Yes that would make things a bit difficult, we tend to compare lots of cultures around here, UK, Canada, US, all over!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-31-2009 - 4:05pm
Hi Kristi,

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-31-2009 - 6:23pm

Hi Kristi,

I have replied...

Christopher

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-31-2009 - 7:40pm
Why do I always miss the interesting threads?
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-31-2009 - 9:42pm
Ya snooze, ya lose! :)
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-31-2009 - 10:18pm

Elissa, I actually tried to email a question to you earlier, but your email function is off!

To all - both Chris and our mama mod have replied to my questions.

"Belief is not required.  Once you know this story

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-01-2009 - 12:01am

It shouldn't be, how odd.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-01-2009 - 3:56am
"I think Frank's subject title "serial killers" might have been the bone of contention that got the thread pulled. Obviously a complaint was received
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-01-2009 - 10:42am

"I would imagine if I were writing about deaths of young women who were circumcised, there would have been no violation. That is a protected subject while male circumcision is not."

IF *female* infant circumcision were still practiced here and was considered a "necessary choice for parents to make", then the response would have been the same.

Since it is not, people can sit back and be emotionally comfortable agreeing that female circumcision is wrong and all the other adjectives generally applied to the practice by American citizens while very carefully keeping eyes and attention averted from the issue of male circumcision.

While not an exact analogy, there are a few places where some comparison could be made of the way Africa treats it's young men and the US treats it's male infants. Enough to be VERY uncomfortable for American citizens. Just a little too close to home.

While ivillage does have some strong debates, it is first and foremost a site for women with a heavy bias towards parenting. Not a place where people go for the *hard hitting* debates.

Pages