So What Holds the US Back?

iVillage Member
So What Holds the US Back?
Fri, 08-07-2009 - 8:22pm
Circumcision came and went in the UK, New Zealand, Australia, and is on its way out in Canada. So what is holding the US back? Thoughts?
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-07-2009 - 9:33pm
Money and powerful lobby groups.

Powered by CGISpy.com
Thank you Spencer and Susan!
Photobucket9a7844bd3f5495a1bdee1a34658193cbe8d.jpg picture by elissanbellaf42706593c5c715e8bd114c82a03dd07e24.jpg picture by elissanbellaElissa-7-09-1.jpg picture by elissanbella
Photobucket
Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-08-2009 - 7:39am

I couldn't agree with you more.

SMFBluvrownchar2.png
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-08-2009 - 3:05pm

I also think the fact that America is so puritanical/religious/traditional, causes us to continue to do things just because that's how we've always done them.

I am not speaking to ritual circumcision, but rather how the practice of RIC can continue generation after generation.

KristiHannahPiperJackson1.jpg picture by itsirkmr

"Belief is not required.  Once you know this story

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-09-2009 - 5:50pm

I can't speculate on money or powerful lobby groups because the USA's political structure is very different to the UK's, though I can see how Elissa's suggestion has weight.

Kristi made some interesting observations which seem to back up one of my signature lines: "Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both."

The collective result of all that has been said so far is... insularity. And in large, powerful nations like the US, insularity is endemic.

Christopher

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-19-2009 - 1:53am

"I am not speaking to ritual circumcision, but rather how the practice of RIC can continue generation after generation."

I completely agree with this. My husband's father is incredibly hands off when it comes to raising children. He was never interested in hearing anything about my pregnancy and that lack of concern has, for the most part, continued, even since DS was born. But the second FIL found out our son was not going to be circ'd, he was calling us all the time trying to convince us to change our minds for DS's sake. Everyone that man has ever know has been circ'd and has circ'd their own kids. How strange that our son's penis is the reason he decided to call us. It's quite odd how obsessed other people can be with your kid's penis when you tell them you won't be hacking off part of it.

Photobucket Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-19-2009 - 9:48am

"It's quite odd how obsessed other people can be with your kid's penis when you tell them you won't be hacking off part of it.'

Odd indeed!