Would it?

iVillage Member
Would it?
Tue, 08-11-2009 - 6:31am

Over the years, I have seen circumcision advocates say if infant male circumcision were banned, it would go underground and there would be "back alley" infant circumcisions.  I don't believe that is true.  Since minor female circumcision was banned in 1996, there has been only one case.  The father circumcised his infant daughter on the kitchen table and was arrested, tried and given a 5 year prison sentence.  That seems to have sent a clear message that it wouldn't be tolerated and has prevented additional cases.

However, during that time, I have seen reports of back alley circumcisions of infant and older males in the news media in California, Oregon, Pennsylvania and North Carolina.

In the case below, the father and mother had argued about the circumcision of their son with the father arguing against and the mother arguing for.  Well, it seems the mother took the situation into her own hands with devastating results.  Would a law have prevented this.  It would have most likely prevented a discussion and disagreement.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6567872.html

Frank

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-11-2009 - 10:29am

There would never be a "ban" in the United States. The way around it is to make the cost prohibitive, lawsuit wise, for doctors to perform it. It is just too engrained in our society to outright "ban" it. Even in countries where circ is not really done there is no ban on it.

Wow, that lady in that story is insane! She was high on 3 drugs though so I don't think a ban would have stopped her being that the drugs she was on are also banned lol. I love the following quote from the neighbor:

"“He was real pale, turning bluish,” Vega said. “There was movement. He wasn't crying.”

See! He wasn't even crying. This just PROVES it is not painful! . . . (of course WE know the baby, like any mammal, was in shock. But pro circs just love to think that not crying means it's painless). I guess he was just "sleeping" through it like a lot babies do when they get circed.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-11-2009 - 3:07pm

We don't really know how often baby girls are circumcised though, do we?

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-11-2009 - 6:02pm

"We don't really know how often baby girls are circumcised though, do we? I would have to believe the numbers are very low however."

Either that or those performing them are *EXTREMELY* well hidden.

I would think the faintest hint of such activity would be big enough to motivate even the most profit driven "news source" in the West.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-12-2009 - 2:27am

"Wow, that lady in that story is insane! She was high on 3 drugs though so I don't think a ban would have stopped her being that the drugs she was on are also banned lol."

It got me thinking.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-12-2009 - 9:37am

With all the millions of mothers insisting on (or not fighting at least) having their infant boys circumcised, some might be subconsciously motivated by such feelings.

Just as some fathers are likely subconsciously motivated by *similar* feelings - only more to do with "matching" so the father can continue to ignore the fact that HIS penis was reduced for no reason other than someone else wanted it to look that way.

Punishment and validation - for the choices of adults not even met yet, if they ever will meet. A heavy load for a newborn boy to be burdened with.

Fortunately more and more people are questioning the practice in general so more and more parents are *thinking* about why (and why NOT) such a thing is done to the genitals of tiny babies, new to the world.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-12-2009 - 12:56pm

No one would ever admit to, or perhaps even be aware, this this line of thinking is present in their consciousness.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-12-2009 - 7:35pm

"How can anyone, after birthing their baby boy, see anything less than perfection?

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-13-2009 - 1:34am

"For them, the surgery is not so much reductive as corrective."

I suppose you are right about that but it counters reason and logic.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-13-2009 - 1:50pm

<

2010 Siggy
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-13-2009 - 5:55pm

"That tells us that it's function is just as applicable as it was thousands of years ago.

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

Pages