Circumcision and legal issues

iVillage Member
Circumcision and legal issues
Wed, 08-19-2009 - 11:12pm

Articles are from Jun & Aug 2009

Tgr2k7 ..  I moved these comments to a seperate discussion because it is a different issue, than a parent on drugs multilating their own child.

Itsirkmr .. “I don't know if it is illegal to mutilate a boys genitals in any other country, but know that a couple of them have considered making it illegal.”

It does seem that countries are re-visiting this issue on a regular basis.  There are clear problems when laws protect some infants and exclude others just because of gender.

The religious argument (sacred cow) is used but cannot be honestly justified as being more important than the protection and  health of the child, when female circumcision for religious/cultural beliefs is being denied.

We also have a lack of “Equal protection under the law” and lack of consent which should logically deny all infant circumcisions male and female,  or allow all circumcisions without prejudice for gender.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/06/02/2587334.htm .. Laws unclear on circumcision of babies

"It's quite clear that if a person has the capacity to consent then in that case, there's not a problem," she said. 

"It's just in relation to children or babies, when they haven't got the capacity to consent and whether or not parents would have the ability to consent on their behalf."

http://apo.org.au/research/non-therapeutic-male-circumcision   .. Non-therapeutic male circumcision - call for submissions

Given that circumcision has not previously been the subject of thorough legal analysis in Australia, the lack of clarity in the application of the existing law to circumcision is the primary problem that the paper seeks to overcome. The crux of the uncertainty is whether the consent of the parent of a male infant being circumcised can provide protection from criminal and civil actions brought against a person for performing a circumcision. Doctors and those who perform circumcision in a traditional way need to know the circumstances in which they will be protected from the law.

…  The Institute invites responses to this Issues Paper by 28 August 2009. Following consideration of responses a final report will be published, containing recommendations to the Attorney-General.

Edited 8/19/2009 11:14 pm ET by tgr2k7
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-20-2009 - 12:05am
I've written a reply to the Institute, if anyone is interested in reading the draft, let me know I'll send you a pdf.
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-20-2009 - 11:44am

I am personally not in favor of RIC but I think a lot needs to change, including a backlash in the Jewish community for there to be wide acceptance of making RIC an illegal procedure. I think it's much more likely there to be a cultural change like in Canada than a legal ban on it, or that at the very least the cultural change would need to come first.

I have limited knowledge of female circumcision but my understanding is the practice varies widely, from minor changes to the genitals to very severe mutilation. Where there are believed to be health effects from male circumcision, the studies are not conclusive and things like erectile dysfunction can be associated with other factors not circumcision. Whereas with female circumcision, there can be more severe, more prevalent immediate complications and longer lasting complications that are more clearly attributable to the circumcision itself. I think the differences in the law represent the known risks and complications likely due to the procedure, not just gender discrimination.

"The last of human freedoms - the ability to chose one's attitude in a given set of circumstances. " - Viktor Frankl.

Photobucket
"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding."
Malcolm Gladwell Blink

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-21-2009 - 2:19am
I would be interested in reading your draft .
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-21-2009 - 3:37am

“I think the differences in the law represent the known risks and complications likely due to the procedure, not just gender discrimination.”

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-21-2009 - 5:57pm
Email me I don't want it public yet.

Edited 8/21/2009 5:59 pm ET by fellowtraveler
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-21-2009 - 6:20pm

I'm not that familiar w/member to Member email ,

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-22-2009 - 6:12pm
I tried to email you but it bounced. I've enabled email to me so go ahead and send me a mail I'll reply with the draft.