Just curious...

iVillage Member
Just curious...
Sun, 08-23-2009 - 4:14pm

Hi all, I'm sort of new to this board and so I am not very up-to-date on the viewpoints of those who post here often.  I have been reading through many threads and find a lot of the discussions very intersting and informative.  I am curious to know what made you decide to circumcise your boys or leave them natural?

I have a son who will turn 2 next month and he is not circumcised.  Before becoming pregnant with him, I was confident any boys I had would be circ'd.  That's just the way it was in my family.  My father and both brothers are circumcised.  Once we found out we were having a boy, I had to actually think my decision through.  I already knew there was pain involved in the procedure, but so many of the people I knew had it done to their sons that I thought very little of it.  I will be honest and say my main reason for wanting to do it was I wanted my son to be "normal" in the locker room.  My husband and I talked about it and I decided to let the final decision rest with him. Since my DH is not circ's, he decided there was no reason to do it to our son.  I was a little disappointed at first but after doing much research and talking to women I knew with sons, I am now very happy with our decision to leave our child's penis alone.  I have had to debate this decision with both of my SILs (who each have 2 girls and no boys) and a couple of my friends but other than that,  I have had no issues with our decision.  I was worried in the beginning about keeping his genitals clean, but it really is no different than taking care of a circ'd penis.

So that is my story.  I am interested to hear why others made the decisions they made!

Jessica

Photobucket

siggy by Cheryl

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-23-2009 - 8:38pm

Hi.

KristiHannahPiperJackson1.jpg picture by itsirkmr

"Belief is not required.  Once you know this story

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-24-2009 - 1:53pm

When I found out I was having a boy, someone asked me the circumcision question.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-24-2009 - 5:59pm

Hi Jessica... you say you're "sorta of new to this board" so I imagine you have posted before but not for some time. Welcome back!

I'm an Englishman and we don't circumcise our newborn boys for any reason unless medically indicated (which is extremely rare). We don't even have a decision to make. Circumcision does not so much as cross our minds when a baby is born, let alone discuss it!

The foreskin has immeasurable value: protective in childhood; sexual in adulthood. It confounds me that anyone would wish to deprive a male of its benefits.

You and your husband have happily left your son as perfect as he was when he arrived. Good for you!

Christopher

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-25-2009 - 9:29pm

If its not yours then you shouldnt be able to cut it off.

Photobucket Sammie
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-25-2009 - 10:16pm

Wow, its been so long since i posted here. I really needed to update my siggy.

Photobucket Sammie
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-28-2009 - 5:51pm
Wait, I'm confused. In your first paragraph, you said your DS is circ'd and in the last paragraph you said your son is intact. I don't know you well enough to know if you have more than one son and I didn't see an indication of another in your sig so could you clarify for me, please? Thanks!
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-28-2009 - 5:52pm

>>So he gets to keep his<<

I love that. I know exactly what you mean, but in my weird mind, I picture someone adding "but just this one!" at the end of it lol.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-28-2009 - 10:30pm

"In your first paragraph, you said your DS is circ'd and in the last paragraph you said your son is intact."

I think she probably meant her husband was circumcised. If you read the rest of her sentence, it makes sense: her baby son could not have told her he didn't "feel strongly one way or the other." I'm sure her little boy would have made his feelings very clear, poor mite, if he had not been left as nature made him.

Christopher

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-29-2009 - 6:40am
Oh good point. It's just been one of *those* days where nothing I read makes sense to me lol.
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-29-2009 - 8:17am
Oh my!!

Photobucket

Pages