RACP (Australian) -- RIC NOT SUPPORTED

iVillage Member
RACP (Australian) -- RIC NOT SUPPORTED
Fri, 08-28-2009 - 9:19pm
In a newly published summary statement, The Royal Australasian College of Physicians unequivocally stated that routine infant circumcision is not necessary. Read more here.

Sanity Rules in Australia, Australian Boys Cheer!

Edited 8/28/2009 9:21 pm ET by fellowtraveler

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-28-2009 - 11:33pm

"....Sanity Rules in Australia, Australian Boys Cheer!"

This is excellent news! Thank you very much!

I like the professional way in which they phrased the basis of the decision:

"The most important conditions where some benefit may result from circumcision are urinary tract infections, and in adults HIV infection and cancer of the penis. The frequency of these conditions, the level of protection offered by circumcision and complication rate of circumcision do not warrant a recommendation of universal circumcision for newborn and infant males in an Australian and New Zealand context."

I wonder if they moved fast and came out now, so that they would not appear "reactive" to the expected US CDC recommendation. Let's hope that the remaining Anglo countries step up to the plate in similar fashion, before the CDC....

Regards,

Federico.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-28-2009 - 11:57pm
I'll be honest and say the timing did strike me in that sense. Like they wanted to get out ahead of it. Especially that it isn't their full release but more a brief. Either way, it's about time.
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-29-2009 - 12:32am

Fellowtraveler, this RACP statement is a blessing to all Australian & New Zealand

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-29-2009 - 5:57am

It's actually little changed from the position they started from. One hope I hold out is that it will contain at least some discussion of the ethics of circumcision. A conversation that never occurs in any mainstream discussion. Several sentences in this brief give me hope of that.

To the three potential benefits they mention, I suspect they will, in their full statement, point out that some benefit may exist but that it is either, too rare to matter, can be realized in more effective ways, or is a treatable condition anyway. These are three considerations Americans often fail to understand.

Insofar as their suggestion to wait until the child is old enough I don't think that is a bad or indefensible position. In fact that is what we are looking for though I think they worded it badly by saying "routine and child". Implying we would routinely ask 15 year olds if they want to be circumcised. I don't think that is what they had in mind but simply the notion (especially WRT HIV) that any potential benefit is subjective to the individual. And only he, when he knows his level of risk and his feeling towards his body, can decided whether the, what can be charitably called barely marginal, potential benefit is worth it.

I expect a thorough and full literature review.

ETA: I think we are a LONG way from a flat condemnation that we all might prefer. The religious use of circumcision makes that difficult politically as obvious as such a statement should be.

Edited 8/29/2009 5:58 am ET by fellowtraveler
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-29-2009 - 12:02pm
Islay, I'll tell you another thing, that is nice. The longer the Australians go without supporting generalized circumcision the less reasonable it makes it seem to go back to it. Low rates of circumcision has the effect of people seeing this issue much more clearly.
iVillage Member
Sat, 08-29-2009 - 1:46pm

"I think they worded it badly by saying "routine and child".

Which is why I brought it up, of course. I doubt it will be corrected.

Christopher

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-29-2009 - 1:50pm

"Low rates of circumcision has the effect of people seeing this issue much more clearly."

Absolutely!

Christopher

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-30-2009 - 12:38pm

Christopher,

I agree with you with regards to the discrepancy but, nevertheless, let them be with the contradiction of 'routine' and 'option' as long as it applies to adolescents and older and as long as they discourage the most virulent part of this practice (i.e routine INFANT circumcision).

As long as circumcision is not mandatory, we all know that there will be virtually no takers of the option among adolescents and older. Even the supporters of circumcision admit to this, as we have read over and over.

In fact, isn't that the main driver for the pro-circumcision crowd to get the procedure done to babies, when they cannot effectively complain or deny consent, or when "they will not remember anything anyway"?

Regards,

Federico

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-30-2009 - 8:19pm

'In fact, isn't that the main driver for the pro-circumcision crowd to get the procedure done to babies, when they cannot effectively complain or deny consent, or when "they will not remember anything anyway"?'

Unfortunately, yes... and that is an indictment, in my opinion. It clearly states a willingness, suppressed or overt, to accept a helpless baby's desperate pain in the interests of cultural normalcy. In my opinion, it is where sex and violence meet*. In other words: sexual abuse, unwitting though it may be.

Christopher

* See the thread on this board.

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-31-2009 - 11:46pm

“I wonder if they moved fast and came out now, so that they would not appear "reactive" to the expected US CDC recommendation. Let's hope that the remaining Anglo countries step up to the plate in similar fashion, before the CDC....”

Pages