Jewish website with articles n comments

iVillage Member
Jewish website with articles n comments
Fri, 09-04-2009 - 9:58am

Jewish website -   interesting articles and views with a bit of humor …  Not what I expected at all, a refreshing surprise.

http://kvetcher.net/category/circumcision/

Melvin Konner’s Weak Defense ..

A pic and comment on  -> Edgar Schoen: Among a long line of Jewish doctors seeking to circumcise all American boys for dubious reasons

Konner seems inclined to fear Intactivism as something prone to anti-semitism, instead of a reasonable concern about cutting babies’ genitalia.

MB: It seems like odd timing, given the uproar over health care reform. Rush Limbaugh is already saying, “Leave our penises alone, too, Obama!”

Well, Melvin, why would this fringe think such a thing? Because it isn’t just that “there are so many Jewish doctors,” but also, because so many of the circumcision advocates have been Jewish doctors.

So I have a solution. Jewish doctors should recuse themselves from the debate on routine neonatal circumcision since they are culturally biased. Instead of bringing in Operation Abraham from Israel to preach the glories of genital cutting for American babies, we should have no Jews in this debate, since we have far too much skin in this one.

And Jewish pro-circ advocates need not get in a huff that they are being targeted for a bias that they SO DON’T HAVE, but rather, should rest assured that this won’t affect the debate one iota, since the science is so very much in their favor anyway and they will be surely vindicated. {snicker}

The real answer as to why circumcision is an “absolute give-in” among Jews…

“Jews continue to “cling” to circumcision in such large numbers because the kid can’t refuse. That is the only reason. There is no other reason. If Jewish circumcision were done at age 18 or 21, the circumcision rate for Jews would drop dramatically. “

Avi { 09.01.09 at 10:07 am }

Ummm at the risk of stating the obvious…it is the parents who decide to cling to the ritual. It is they who could refuse to perform it on their babies.

Jeff Eyges { 09.01.09 at 10:22 am }

But there’s also a deep emotional tie to circumcision; a feeling of pride that Jews are physically marked as such

Couldn’t we just substitute a really snappy haircut?

5 Joe { 09.01.09 at 10:39 am }

How about defiantly facing bigoted stereotypes. Nasal enhancement now!

Another article …

Was circumcision study executed by independent doctor?

July 21, 2009   Circumcision  

by DK

While the benefits of male circumcision are being reconsidered and scaled back (who would have guessed?), all over the Internet and in major news publications, circumcision is being touted as not only not having a deleterious effect on sexuality, but is being promoted to increase sexual satisfaction

There are a few potential problems with this study.

Firstly, it contradicts studies that were not anecdotal, but empirical.

Secondly, the results are befitting of an election under Saddam Hussein.

Thirdly, the doctor, Godfrey Kigozi, who oversaw this study appears to be a major circumcision advocate, tied into the the WHO slush fund for AIDS prevention. Presumably, a lot of money is coming his way to slice and dice. I mean, a lot of money.

I am concerned that this might not have been an honestly brokered study. I would hope that intactivist organizations will review this situation.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-04-2009 - 11:27am

Thank you! I've read a little about Operation Abraham since my questsions on the other thread, but I've yet to figure out WHY they are trying to put the mark of their covenant on people who aren't part of it.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-04-2009 - 2:09pm

Actually, the idea of recusing oneself due to potential conflicts of interest is not so outlandish.

I regularly read newspapers from Latin America, where the Catholic Church still has considerable behind-the-scenes influence, and have read my share of "opinion pieces", pseudo-interviews, etc., in which medical professionals affiliated with Church groups come up with ideas ranging from the expected, such as "abstinence before marriage is best' and

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-04-2009 - 7:35pm

“Thank you! I've read a little about Operation Abraham since my questsions on the other thread, but I've yet to figure out WHY they are trying to put the mark of their covenant on people who aren't part of it.”

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-04-2009 - 8:14pm

“in spite of these groups' tendencies .. ..

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-05-2009 - 12:00am

"....The articles and comments show that the Jewish community recognizes the flaws in promoting circumcision. When Jews openly criticize unscientific studies, RIC, and operation Abraham, the excuse of discrimination doesn’t apply...."

I think that when it comes to the push to encourage/discourage circumcision, we should move away from using terms such as "the Jewish community" (as if it were a monolith) and more towards "some members of the Jewish community", as it is in the case of the articles that you linked us to in the "kvetcher" page.

After all, as in all politically-driven initiatives, the driving force are just a few, very vocal influential members in any community. The behaviour of the remaining majority normally ranges from full support, all the way through indifference to, in the case of "kvetcher", disagreement.

In the case of circumcision, I just wish that "kvetcher" was the very vocal influential member, and Schoen, Wiswell, Halperin, and the crowd from Operation Abraham were the "marginals".

Regards,

Federico.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-05-2009 - 1:16pm

Of course, that isn't what I meant. I'm just trying to understand why ANY Jewish person would promote circ for Gentiles, given its origin myth according to their religion.

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-05-2009 - 3:38pm

"I'm just trying to understand why ANY Jewish person would promote circ for Gentiles, given its origin myth according to their religion. "

I agree,

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-06-2009 - 12:25am

“we should move away from using terms such as "the Jewish community" (as if it were a monolith) and more towards "some members of the Jewish community", as it is in the case of the articles that you linked us to in the "kvetcher" page.”

I should have made a better choice of words,