One Foreskin at a time...

iVillage Member
One Foreskin at a time...
Wed, 09-09-2009 - 1:24am

"... a Better World" ????

I found this almost unbelievable - that a campaign by females for adult male circumcision exists as a serious 'need'.

It's a crusade by Israeli women who have targeted the African 'studies' and used the results to promote wholesale male circumcision. Is it nothing more than an attempt to climb on the band wagon, or will the USA's circumcising culture and its medical authorities give it credence and support?

Click on the hyperlink 'campaign' to see its content.

http://blogs.jta.org/telegraph/article/2007/10/23/999707/hadassah-a-better-world-one-foreskin-at-a-time

How many females in the US would support this - or even join the campaign? This is not a matter of infant circumcision. Israelites circumcise their boys routinely (as do Americans, for secular reasons).  But, politically, the US supports Israel - as does the UK.

Christopher

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-09-2009 - 2:49am
There is a petition to sign opposing the CDC promotion of routine circ,
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-09-2009 - 10:01am

"...It's a crusade by Israeli women who have targeted the African 'studies' and used the results to promote wholesale male circumcision...."

I believe that in another thread a poster named Englishrose was interested in finding out about Jewish groups and/or individuals pushing for circumcision onto others. I guess that your link, and the references that it cites, provides the answer.

With regards to religion,

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-09-2009 - 6:14pm

<>>

This is nothing more than an attack on Christianity. Sts Paul and Thomas said circumcision was not necessary at best, a sin at worst. Can you imagine if we Christians put together a group that called for all muslims and jews to stop circumcising? They'd scream we were trying to stifle their religion. Well now we have jews doing that to us. It's infuriating.

Besides, it's junk science anyway so it's an affront to science as well.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-11-2009 - 6:33pm

Tiger, I looked throuh the five comments and i could only see Marilyn Milos' link to sign up with Intact America. So it seems I have signed up to receive e-mails - but no petition!

Do you have a link to the petition itself?

Christopher

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-11-2009 - 6:48pm

"After reading this link, however, my glass is very close to receiving the proverbial 'one drop too many'."

I'm leaning that way myself now, after reading that link. But it's important we keep our thoughts and fears in perspective with the real world and it's overall condemnation of imposed circumcision, boy or man.

My concern was/is whether or not the CDC is likely to be influenced to any significant degree by these Israeli women and their campaign.

Christopher

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-11-2009 - 6:51pm

"Besides, it's junk science anyway..."

Of course it is, but do America's medical bodies see that?

Christopher

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-11-2009 - 10:54pm

"....My concern was/is whether or not the CDC is likely to be influenced to any significant degree by these Israeli women and their campaign...."

Oh, no, don't worry about that. The CDC won't be influenced by these women and their campaign, Christopher.

How could they, when both are part of the same axis?

A better question is: will Americans at large be influenced by these multiple "coincidental" campaigns, or will they open their eyes and see through them? (Hint: I am pessimistic...)

Regards,

Federico.

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-11-2009 - 11:53pm

http://www.intactamerica.org/

In the upper right corner ,

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-12-2009 - 6:09pm

Okay, Tiger... thank you!

Christopher

CL - Circumcision Debate