The Dog in the Nighttime...

iVillage Member
The Dog in the Nighttime...
Thu, 10-01-2009 - 12:58am

"Is there any other point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"The curious incident of the dog in the nighttime."
"The dog did nothing in the nighttime."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes."

One way circumcision is perpetuated is ignoring its existence. Perhaps the world's vast majority of intact males, and the parents who do not give circumcision a moment's thought, are seriously at fault here.

We all live our lives as human beings, with our cultural norms, born of fact and fantasy. It seems the most commonly requested surgical procedure in the UK is adult female breast enlargement or reduction, closely followed by vaginal lip alteration - a far cry from male infant circumcision or even adult male circumcision.

I'm aware that "in the nighttime" our inhibitions are compromised, even lessened... we "do nothing" to alter the status quo; but in the cold light of day we can take stock and evaluate our decisions, if we wish. This applies to all of us when circumcising our boys, or leaving them as nature intended.

It's all very well that the world eschews secular infant circumcision, but ignores the most commonly performed surgical operation in the US as a comical/foolish/horrific oddity. Yet no matter how counter-productive this is, the world does just that!

Short-term, I see no answer. Long-term? Perhaps it's down to enlightened American parents and another generation in the future when the US has discarded its insularity and is able to see the wood for the trees. I wish it were different now, but time will tell.

Or are the world's intact males - or their parents, who never gave a thought to the perceived dangers of a foreskin - culpable for their indifference?

Christopher

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

Edited 10/2/2009 6:28 pm ET by cl-islaywhisky

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-01-2009 - 11:03am

Christopher, there are other sensitive and "hot button" issues.

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-04-2009 - 10:55am

Or are the world's intact males -

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-04-2009 - 7:17pm

"I suspect that this is largely true, if a bit unfair. Most of the intact men that I have known, and had the opportunity to discuss this issue with, seem to be oblivious to their good fortune. Few of them are aware of what is lost, and what little is left, after a penis looses it's foreskin."

Thank you for replying specifically to this part of my post. Your answer confirms my suspicions; for indeed most non-circumcised males of any age are no more aware of their good fortune than they are about their normal bodies in all other respects. This is human nature of course. It takes new discoveries about our fellow men to prompt us into awareness of others' misfortunes.

Christopher

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.