Does informed choice make it OK?

iVillage Member
Does informed choice make it OK?
Tue, 10-20-2009 - 11:11am

I got the idea for this from another debate board talking about parental choice and informed choice.  Circumcision was actually brought up in that discussion but I feel many there don't want to discuss circ, they want to discuss the actual topic of that board.

So I am bringing it here.  I know we've discussed it in the past, but thought it would be good to re-hash the subject, especially with a few newcomers that are at least lurking on our board.  Maybe they will chime in as well.

Questions:

If a parent is completely informed about all the risks that circumcision entails to their infant son, and still chooses to have them circ'd, does that make it ok?

If not, how is circumcision different than other parental decisions (ie. breastfeeding/formula, vaccinations, face down/face up sleeping, co-sleeping, etc) where one or more options carry risk to the infant/child yet parental choice is more readily recognized?  In your opinion, why should parental choice not be recognized in regards to circumcision?

If yes to the first question, how does being informed about the risks mitigate the actual risks to the child?  In what way does parental choice supercede infant risk (in circumcision or any topic)?  When (if at all) does infant risk supercede parental choice?

Siggy - Fall '08 Jan07 SB Phototag - 051309 - small rotating debate blinky
2010 Siggy

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-20-2009 - 6:23pm

Wonderful questions!

If a parent is completely informed about all the risks that circumcision entails to their infant son, and still chooses to have them circ'd, does that make it ok?

I believe that the vast majority of people who are TRULY informed about the functions of the foreskin, the insignificance of the medical benefits (and ways that those benefits can be achieved without surgery), how the operation is performed, and the short-term and long-term risks of the operation will decide not to do it. However, if parents ARE fully informed and choose to do it anyway, at least they will hopefully do so without regret.

However, taking the choice away from the only person who will be affected by the decision still feels wrong to me.

If not, how is circumcision different than other parental decisions (ie. breastfeeding/formula, vaccinations, face down/face up sleeping, co-sleeping, etc) where one or more

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-20-2009 - 8:21pm

Excellent

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-20-2009 - 8:26pm
I like this question too. I will return to it. :)
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-20-2009 - 8:48pm

Questions:

no, how could a culturally conditioned unnecesary procedure which deprives a male of his bodily integrity ever be considered "ok" under almost any circumstance?

If not, how is circumcision different than other parental decisions (ie. breastfeeding/formula, vaccinations, face down/face up sleeping, co-sleeping, etc) where one or more

Rob

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-20-2009 - 11:50pm

"If a parent is completely informed about all the risks that circumcision entails to their infant son, and still chooses to have them circ'd, does that make it ok?"

This is an interesting question.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-21-2009 - 9:59am

Ann - I agree with pretty much everything you said and if I were to answer my own questions I think the answers would look very much like yours.

2010 Siggy
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-21-2009 - 10:02am

<>

I think so, yeah.

2010 Siggy
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-21-2009 - 2:37pm

No.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-21-2009 - 7:10pm

No, in my opinion it makes it worse than having a child circ'd without knowing the truth.

KristiHannahPiperJackson1.jpg picture by itsirkmr

"Belief is not required.  Once you know this story

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-21-2009 - 8:48pm

"In the meantime, I presume 'informed choice' equates to 'informed consent'. Yes?"

I say no.

Informed choice means the parent knows what a foreskin is and does, what the risks *from* the surgery are and how low any rates of "medical benefit" are.

Informed consent means the parent signed a form saying essentiall, "As with all surgeries, this one carries risks. I accept those risks on behalf of my infant child." There may actually be one or two risks listed, but certainly not the rate of occurrence.

Not *informed* at all.

Pages