Need som help for my DD's schoolproject

iVillage Member
Need som help for my DD's schoolproject
Thu, 01-14-2010 - 7:01am

She shall have a report done next week about circumcision (school projects). So I need some feedback from both sides on this. The reason behind the decisions, cultural reason, religious reason etc,etc.

And please, don't use difficult language. This have to be translated to norwegian.

Solvor

Solvor

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-14-2010 - 1:19pm

I can give you a lot of the common reasons that people give on both sides.

2010 Siggy
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-14-2010 - 4:15pm
Welcome to the board, Solvor. Traci has provided excellent information as to infant circumcision in America that your daughter should be able to use in her report. You being a mother of 18 and 10 year old sons plus a husband
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-14-2010 - 8:27pm

We all welcome you to the board, Solvor. Thank you for seeking our help on your daughter's behalf.

I cannot add

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-14-2010 - 10:24pm

"...Estimates vary, but it is safe to say that 75% are not circumcised. Of the 25% who are circumcised, the largest percentage are males in the USA..."

I am not so sure about that, Christopher. 25% of the population of the world amounts to roughly 1.5 billion people. Since we seem to be talking about male circumcision, if we apply the ratio of 106 males to 100 females (I understand that is nature's "fifty-fifty"), over 750 billion males are circumcised.

The total (male and female) population of the USA is around 300 million....

Maybe you meant "the largest percentage are Muslim men..."?

Regards,

Federico

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-15-2010 - 2:42am

Thank's to all of you, we got what we needed!

I'm not a newbie here, have posted from time to time. But I'm most a lurker.

And yes, Dick, none of my boys are circ'ed. I'm even not sure I know anyone who are. This is not a subject that we are talking about, because it's not done here. I only assume that my male muslims friend are circ'ed.

Again, thank's to you all!

Solvor

Solvor

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-15-2010 - 4:08am

It must be included that this is a custom/fad that is quickly being abandoned in The US.

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-15-2010 - 12:05pm
Solver, I had
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-15-2010 - 5:51pm

Federico, I was prepared to be corrected! :)

I also chose to give the highest percentage figure of circumcised males I have come across on the Internet; which includes Jews, Muslims, African tribes and other pockets of circumcision throughout the world. The lowest estimate I have found is 10-15%.

It is the secular circumcision of infants where the US leads the world (may I say "infamously"?).

Christopher

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-17-2010 - 8:13pm

"...It is the secular circumcision of infants where the US leads the world (may I say "infamously"?)..."

More likely "where the US leads".....itself!

Once you write off religious circumcision (Judaism and, derivately, Islam, resulting in circumcision in Israel, Muslim countries, and in their respective minorities elsewhere) and tribal-identity circumcision (African tribes), who else remains?

The Americans! And two countries that they occupied and/or colonized (South Korea and the Phillipines.

Although over here they call it "medical", rather than "secular". It is easy to justify.

Regards,

Federico

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-17-2010 - 10:04pm

'More likely "where the US leads".....itself!'

You're right of course, but you know what I meant! ;)

CL - Circumcision Debate