Circing and hiv?????

iVillage Member
Circing and hiv?????
Fri, 01-22-2010 - 8:54pm

What IS the deal with circing and HIV transmission. I just read an article about zulu tribes being convinced by the S.African govt to encourage circing to slow down HIV transmission. I have read some info but am confused.

Dee

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-23-2010 - 9:25am

This is a story of pure deceit.

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-23-2010 - 10:13am

<>

Unfortunately, circ will have absolutely no effect on slowing down HIV and AIDS. In fact, it going to spread more quickly because these misguided people will really feel that they are safe because they are circd (they can't even grasp the need to use a condom. . .). The end result: over half the population of Africa will be gone in 25 years due to direct deaths from this disease and famine induced by lack of workers. Sad but true. Circ won't stop a thing. I wonder then what the USA will say about circ? "If it hadn't been for circ, they'd all have been dead 5 years earlier". . . what a catastrophe.

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-23-2010 - 10:48am

I agree with almost all of your post and you said some good and important things.

However, this:

"With the increase in deaths directly from the circumcisions and the deaths from HIV, this is mass murder on a scale not seen since Adolph Hitler's work 70 years ago."

is wrong. What they are doing in Africa is terrible, truly terrible. It is immoral. But it is not the holocaust. It is not the deliberate victimisation, stripping of rights and personhood and extermination of millions of people (Jewish, black, disabled, gay, all sort of people just because of who they were). To compare what is happening is Africa right now diminishes the absolute horror of these deliberate acts on such a large scale.

Rose, loved for life by Meghan and mama to Michael Lloyd (24th May 2005) and Ella Morghan (5th Jan 2008). Co-parenting with André and René.

SoVT

Lilypie Baby Ticker

preview image

Cgtx

Rose, loved for life by Meghan and mama to Michael Lloyd (24th May 2005), Ella Morghan (5th Jan 2008) and Jolie Bryna (12th May 2010). Co-parenting with André and René.
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-23-2010 - 11:09am

"result: over half the population of Africa will be gone in 25 years due to direct deaths from this disease and famine induced by lack of workers."

Yes, it is not hard to see.

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-23-2010 - 11:36am

"But it is not the holocaust. It is not the deliberate victimisation, stripping of rights and personhood and extermination of millions of people (Jewish, black, disabled, gay, all sort of people just because of who they were). To compare what is happening is Africa right now diminishes the absolute horror of these deliberate acts on such a large scale."

No, it is not the Holocaust.

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-23-2010 - 7:41pm

A couple of years ago RoanMom, some researchers performed three trials in Africa the result of which showed that circumcised men were at 50% less risk for contracting HIV. On this basis they believe that if they can circumcise men in Africa they can reduce the rate of HIV. I have a lot of doubts it will work. The Australian Federation of AIDS Organization has a sheet on this which might clear up your questions:

http://www.afao.org.au/library_docs/policy/BP09_Circumcision.pdf

The bottom line is that even if it was true it has little practical benefit in a Western country with a low prevalence of HIV and where it is primarily transmitted between MSM.

Edited 1/23/2010 7:44 pm ET by fellowtraveler
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-23-2010 - 10:19pm

"Of all the industrialized nations, The US has the highest HIV infection rate.

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-23-2010 - 10:39pm
Chris, no offense, but you know the funny thing about your wife's reply, "At least you're safe." What also makes you safe is your fidelity to her. To suggest you were at risk suggests that either she is infected or you are unfaithful. No offense.
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-23-2010 - 10:54pm

Frank, I paused for some time before responding to your post to Rose... and I have no wish to pre-empt her reply.

I know you spoke with your usual conviction, but I think you're misguided, perhaps because of your zeal to stress the speciousness of the African

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-23-2010 - 11:22pm

No offence taken, Fellowtraveler. Your point is well made.

It was just her gut reaction to my distress at having to be circumcised and her equal wish that I wasn't... in the disturbing light of news proposing all males should surrender their foreskins.

Christopher

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

Pages