How Dramatic the AAP's Statement?

iVillage Member
How Dramatic the AAP's Statement?
Sat, 01-30-2010 - 2:02am

A new statement is impending. Will it have the same half hearted, fence-sitting recommendation as the current one?

I found an article speaking of the 'old' - and still present statement - as a dramatic change. It is VERY long, and few will welcome that - except Frank maybe! (A friendly wink to you, my friend.) But I quote the author's last paragraph, thus:

"In one dramatic sweep, the task force decided not to make a decision and absolved itself of all guilt while continuing to perform a questionable procedure. There is no other medical procedure performed on minors, male or female, that follows this policy or has this history."

"... performed on minors, male or female, that follows this policy or has this history." Was anything more perceptive than these seven words?

Will the AAP's new statement be as dramatic; advocating circumcision for all boys - or will it shoot itself in its proverbial foot?

We have talked about this already, but the AAP's current statement is watered-down version of the truth. And that implies an acknowledgement of the world's predominant persuasion to leave boys as they are born.

Will foot-shooting prevail, or will America wake up?

Christopher

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.