I found this fascinating and revealing..

iVillage Member
I found this fascinating and revealing..
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 10:30pm

Apart from Circlist, which most pro-circ advocates are familiar with, I Googled for some further evidence supporting circumcision.

I hit upon the following link. It's a transcript of a radio or television broadcast (not sure which) from KPBS in North America, 25/1 this year. (Perhaps some of you have heard/seen it?) It makes a valiant attempt to present both sides of the divide.

Be warned that the opening argument is offered by a journalist who unfortunately habitually uses the interjection "you know" with nearly every breath - and he continues this way throughout the broadcast. I doubt he uses his 'you knows' when he writes!

Among other guests - in the studio and on the telephone - there's a welcome contribution from the founder of the MGM bill.

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2010/jan/25/many-layers-and-sd-connections-male-circumcision-d/

Do try to spend a little time reading it (I think the original broadcast was no more than 20 or 30 minutes.). And don't look at your scroll bar and imagine it's longer - online comments from readers follow.

I found it fascinating because we would never have a radio or TV discussion like this in the UK. The fact that the US does, is indicative of its efforts to persuade its parents for or against circumcision.

I found it revealing because the readers' comments are hugely in favour of leaving the foreskin alone. I must equate with the poster who said. "Foreskins are a source of joy, for their owners, and their owner's partners."

Why is the Internet filled with American anti-circumcision articles and opinions; but offers a relative dearth of pro-circumcision argument? The US still circumcises its boys in its millions. Who is fooling who??

Christopher

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

Edited 2/5/2010 6:15 pm ET by cl-islaywhisky

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 2:04pm

I think it's because those against circumcision are vocal about it. American's who circumcise think it's just normal so it's not something to write home about as it were.

Having said that I think there are more people who don't circumcise in the US than most would think. They are more of the tone I didn't do it but I don't care much about what other do. I think there is a large group like that.

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 3:56pm
I
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 5:04pm

Thanks for the link, Christopher, very revealing indeed.

What is also very revealing is that while questions revolved on penile cancer, or STDs, or simple cultural familiarity, what was not asked or mentioned at all by anybody (whether interviewer, guests, or telephone participants) in the dicussion is a simpler one:

How come it is only in the US where baby boys are circumcised under medical pretense?

So simple, yet

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 6:26pm

<< How come it is only in the US where baby boys are circumcised under medical pretense?
So simple, yet everybody is blind to the white elephant in the living room. >>

Exactly!! And another thing that bothers me is this: the sensitivity issue. WHy doesn't anyone say simply when the procircs, or even the neutrals say "there is no evidence that the glans is any more or any less sensitive after circ", COMPLETELY ignoring the fact that the foreskin has tens of thousands of nerves in it, meaning that once it's removed the circd penis IS MOST DEFINITELY less sensitive.

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 6:35pm

"...I think there are more people who don't circumcise in the US than most would think. They are more of the tone I didn't do it but I don't care much about what other do. I think there is a large group like that."

Yes, I've noticed in debate that several parents who left their sons intact are quick to add words to that effect. It makes me wonder why they post on a debate board if they have little care what others do.

Christopher

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 7:00pm
I think they're just participating in the discussion for the sake of it but have no concern of what others do. There is still a lot of people here that are stuck in the, "Everyone does it." Those who didn't don't always take it up as a cause which I find disappointing since the more people who say, "We didn't.", the more common people see it is.
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 7:06pm

I would bet the ranch,

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 7:27pm

"How come it is only in the US where baby boys are circumcised under medical pretense?"

Insularity, Federico -

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 7:47pm

"...COMPLETELY ignoring the fact that the foreskin has tens of thousands of nerves in it, meaning that once it's removed the circd penis IS MOST DEFINITELY less sensitive."

But young foreskins are a valuable constituent in the production of face creams. 'So what' if he is deprived of a few, useless nerves?? He can still procreate

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 7:51pm

"Those who didn't don't always take it up as a cause which I find disappointing since the more people who say, "We didn't.", the more common people see it is."

Never a truer word, Fellowtraveler.

Christopher

CL - Circumcision Debate

Pages