Please see this...

iVillage Member
Please see this...
Fri, 02-12-2010 - 1:04am

A YouTube slideshow showing the history of secular circumcision: no pictures, just quotes .

My particular interest was the UK's rise and fall. Yours may centre more upon the US. I'm left pondering where the UK would be now without Douglas Gairdner and the NHS. Thank good fortune for them both!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4unKTMpBGA

Christopher

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-12-2010 - 4:05am
Thank you for this
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-12-2010 - 3:23pm
I'm hoping that the US is in the same sort of period that Australia was in when it was phasing out circ. There were still some rabid supporters, fervently pushing for it, and rates didn't immediately drop, but eventually did. I'm hoping the US is on the same path.
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-12-2010 - 7:21pm

"I had not realised that the RIC rate in the U.K. never did reach even 50%."

This was largely because before the Welfare State and its accompanying National Insurance was established, people had to pay for any medication or surgery out of their own pockets. Those who were simply too poor had to do without - or offer payment 'in kind' or seek help from one of the few charities that existed. The upper-middle and upper classes together with the aristocracy could afford to circumcise their boys, and therefore did. But mainly for two reasons:

1. Because the secret vice of self-abuse (masturbation) in children was considered morally abhorrent. Removing the foreskin would drastically impair this unwholesome pleasure and rid

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-12-2010 - 7:33pm

"I'm hoping that the US is in the same sort of period that Australia was in when it was phasing out circ."

Yesterday I stumbled across an Australian circumcision support board, where its posters were full of vitriol, determined take their country back to the dark ages of routine circumcision. It won't happen.

Christopher

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

Edited 2/13/2010 6:21 pm ET by cl-islaywhisky

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-13-2010 - 2:44am

I would hope to see the downward trend in the U.S. accelerate too.

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-13-2010 - 1:56pm

<>

Shudder. I'd like to think I'd have still made the right decision but as it is I wasn't forced to make any decision. So maybe I'm just as guilty as those who think circing must be done. I really don't know. Off to ponder....

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-13-2010 - 6:50pm

"Shudder. I'd like to think I'd have still made the right decision but as it is I wasn't forced to make any decision. So maybe I'm just as guilty as those who think circing must be done. I really don't know."

Much of life's twists and turns are down to fate; though it's equally true to say that despite the quirks of fate, life is what we make it. When debating the issue of circumcision I am always ready to admit that had I been born American or had raised my children in the US there's a real possibility my boys would be circumcised. I like to think I would have the foresight to keep them intact and the strength to stick to my guns. But whose to say?

Christopher

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-13-2010 - 11:09pm

<>

QV also had a VERY strong belief that the English were a part of one of the lost tribes of Israel according to one of the books I read on her. While they didn't mention circ at all in the book, I would consider that that had a very strong influence on her. Aside from that though, she considered anything remotely considered "fun" to be bad so her having her sons circd is not surprising in the slightest. Anything to put a wet blanket in tent on a camping trip. . .

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-13-2010 - 11:10pm

<>

Two questions:

1) what is their argument FOR circ?

2) what is their strategy? Lies, misinformation, and greed as in the US?

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-14-2010 - 8:29pm

"QV also had a VERY strong belief that the English were a part of one of the lost tribes of Israel according to one of the books I read on her. While they didn't mention circ at all in the book, I would consider that that had a very strong influence on her. Aside from that though, she considered anything remotely considered "fun" to be bad so her having her sons circd is not surprising in the slightest. Anything to put a wet blanket in tent on a camping trip. . ."

I had no idea she believed that! It's a nonsense of course, but that has no bearing on her conviction. And I've just read a reference to Queen Vic and the ten lost tribes of Israel, in an online

CL - Circumcision Debate

Pages