Again - a British Perspective

iVillage Member
Again - a British Perspective
Sun, 02-14-2010 - 9:49pm

The Sunday Times online.

The Times is as prestigious as The Washington Post.

Here's a November 2007 article which impressed me for its comprehensive and honestly expressed review of the circumcision debate.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article2761868.ece

There is so much in Simon Mills' article I would like to discuss and/or comment upon; but I will simply say, for now, I'm no relation to Brian Sewell - though we share the same surname(!)...  and please note Simon's frequent reference to pro-choicers rather than pro-circers; a term that acknowledges the pressure US parents alone have: to 'make a decision'.

Christopher

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

Edited 2/15/2010 6:21 pm ET by cl-islaywhisky

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-15-2010 - 6:30am

Interesting piece.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-15-2010 - 10:06am

Thanks for the article, Christopher.

(from the London Times article)"....Non-medical circumcision for children is now illegal in Sweden...."

Is this correct? I thought that the Swedes were moving in that direction, but had not yet realized the objective.

Regards,
Federico.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-15-2010 - 7:19pm

Of all surviving English daily newspapers, The Times is the oldest.

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-15-2010 - 11:07pm

"Is this correct? I thought that the Swedes were moving in that direction, but had not yet realized the objective."

And of course I noted that too, but was interested to see who was the first to query it!

A UK web site (MHF), under its FAQ section states: "In Sweden...non-medical circumcision is now illegal in children."

But...

The following quote comes from an article by Yngve Hofvander published in The Lancet in 2002: "Careful information has to be given by the person who will do the operation about all its features, including the method, risks, possible complications, pain, and the anaesthesia to be given, what after care is needed, and that the foreskin cannot be restored. No child must be circumcised against his will if he is able to express it. Both parents have to give their informed consent, if required, in writing. (My underlining.)

Unless the law in Sweden has changed in the last 8 years, it seems its parents (or legal guardians)

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-16-2010 - 11:05pm
Thank you very much for that information.

Photobucket