What sort of monster.....?

iVillage Member
What sort of monster.....?
Tue, 02-23-2010 - 2:00am

'What sort of monster performs an unnecessary cosmetic procedure on an infant’s genitals?!?'

Spoken vehemently and in genuine horror of the very thought# Many parents - especially outside the US - have thought this way and still do; Americans too#

But in debate boards like ours, such impassioned, graphic statements are open to censure. So we are compelled, understandably and rightly, to express our impassioned beliefs with words which won't offend when talking of male circumcision. Replacing 'monster' with 'parent', 'doctor' etc. is acceptable and correct. With the offending word replaced, we are left with a common question asked by so many who question the procedure.

BUT ...

This has nothing to do with boys - or men. The question I quoted referred to GIRLS. The very words are a carbon copy of those who abhor the circumcision of boys!

So, to paraphrase George Orwell : 'all humans are equal, but some are more equal than others'. Notwithstanding the right of gender equality, it seems the exception is boys versus girls.

So who are the monsters? Those who 'correct' the genitals of boys, or those who do the same to girls?? I don't want to begin yet another discussion of male v# female circumcision; I only wish to suggest that the 'monster' in all of us is the way we all submit to convention and cultural norm, with little or no thought to its consequences#

We are all human and all equal# Genital equality should be sacrosanct, male and female.

Christopher

P.S. Google my whole quote and you will see the link, if you wish.

ETA deletions of the hash symbol that plagues my posts - usually when I type a parenthesis.

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-23-2010 - 5:59pm
I'm afraid that the irony is lost for the majority of Americans who are not able to see it because of our cultural conditioning.

KristiHannahPiperJackson1.jpg picture by itsirkmr

"Belief is not required.  Once you know this story

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-23-2010 - 7:33pm

"It is one of the reasons the quote in my siggy below is so inspiring to me..."

Yes, the difference between listening and blind acceptance.

Christopher

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-25-2010 - 3:54pm
What knocks my socks off is the fact that so many people are, apparently totaly incapable of looking at this issue objectively and rationaly.
iVillage Member
Thu, 02-25-2010 - 9:40pm

Could

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-02-2010 - 8:28pm
INVAO: this is the wirse sort of logic.
xvx Pictures, Images and Photos

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-02-2010 - 9:49pm

Actually, female circumcision ranges from removal of the clitoral hood all the way through to the excision and infibulation you apparently associate with the term.

Female Genital Mutilation covers ANY alteration of the genitalia, even just ONE nick for A drop of blood.

Any mucosal skin (like the glans on a natural penis) will dry out and lose sensitivity when left exposed.

The foreskin is the most sensitive part of the penis, so sexual feeling is most certainly hampered.

Male circumcision CUTS OFF the skin that an erection and sexual activity would slide back from the glans. There is no "pulls back" in circumcision.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-02-2010 - 11:42pm

xxxs, welcome to the board... and thank you for your input. Do stay with us.

Please note this from my original post: "I don't

CL - Circumcision Debate