Only in America - Circumcision 2010

iVillage Member
Only in America - Circumcision 2010
Mon, 03-08-2010 - 9:54pm

Where else in the world would thousands of dollars be spent to design and manufacture an instrument at the cutting edge of technology (pun unintended) for use on baby boys' penises to remove a dangerous, useless piece of skin that nature failed to regress into obsolescence?

The AccuCirc claims this privilege. I have no wish to offend anyone, but this - and all methods used to circumcise a restrained and helpless infant - only serve to remind me of medieval devices for torture - which were also at the cutting edge of invention in their day.

That said, I'm aware that no medical practitioner and no well-meaning parent subjects a boy to a torturous procedure advisedly. Therefore I must accept that any device which completes a circumcision swiftly and safely as possible is to be welcomed in the absence of any truly effective anaesthesia which older boys and adults alone may receive.

http://www.accucirc.com/demo.php#

In the opinion of those who read this and have circumcised a boy, or intend to do so, is this a method you would support? Or if you are undecided about circumcising, would it actively persuade you to go ahead and do so?

For the sake of our purpose as a debate board, I wish for pro-circ replies. I realise that others may reply, but if you do, please respond with my intent in mind: an honest wish to encompass the beliefs and thoughts of parents who's parental choice is taken in love for their sons when they have them circumcised. This, in the face of a nation which has seen routine circumcision decline steadily to the point of tipping the balance - but with a current possibility that its medical authorities may reverse the trend and positively recommend that all boys should be circumcised.

Christopher

Edited to delete the hash symbols that plague my posts all the time now! Grrrrrrrr

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

Edited 3/8/2010 10:04 pm ET by cl-islaywhisky

Edited 3/10/2010 9:59 pm ET by cl-islaywhisky

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-10-2010 - 9:44pm

I've seen this thing before, about a year ago, and I don't see how it would change the situation in anyway. How does it make circumcision acceptable? As far as I am concerned it makes no difference how you perform it, it's why you perform it that matters. These people are focused on the wrong issue.

As an aside. It seems to me this thing blindly cuts (though I haven't looked at it since I first read about it). Second, It seems to be more "one size fits all" then previous devices.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-10-2010 - 10:11pm

"How does it make circumcision acceptable?"

It doesn't, but

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-10-2010 - 10:39pm
I've read it a few months ago when it "came out". I don't think I'll go back, it's not something I can really stand. Like I said their claims belies the reality of the issue. Also, fast doesn't always mean good; should we really be rushing such a thing?
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-11-2010 - 1:48pm
The *only* benefit I can see is that it's completely single use. It may help reduce the incidence of cuts by removing the scalpel element but user error accounts for most mistakes so unless this device was computerized and "did it for you" as it were I still see human error coming into play.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-12-2010 - 7:30pm

"should we really be rushing such a thing?"

Only if the instrument is used skillfully. There will still be pain for the child because adequate anaesthesia is not an option for infants... therefore the swifter the better.

Since we cannot yet ban the procedure completely, I look and wish for the least painful option.

Christopher

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-12-2010 - 7:44pm

Its disposable design is indeed an advantage over other instruments, I agree.

"...unless this device was computerized and "did it for you"..."

Since infant circumcision is still the most common surgery in the US, computerised penile surgery (which exists for other procedures) would be a cost effective investment, I imagine.

Christopher

CL - Circumcision Debate