Male Circumcision is Female Power

iVillage Member
Male Circumcision is Female Power
Wed, 03-10-2010 - 9:51pm

I have come across this attitude before, but not so explicitly stated as in the following link.

Does USA feminism really extend to male genital "emasculation" in any significant way?  I put the word in quotes because the author speaks of male circumcision as "total emasculation" when, in reality, the phrase means the removal of both testicles and has nothing to do with circumcision.

http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=415177

Christopher

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-11-2010 - 5:36pm

Well, since "feminism" is defined by the speaker of the word rather than any universally accepted definition, I'd say the answer to your first question is "yes". And "no". ^_^

From the number of mothers who "let the father decide" because "he has the penis", I'd say feminism is not a wide-spread influence in RIC in the US.

From that author's perspective, it could very well be all about feminism attacking males. Though it would shooting themselves in the vagina (foot) to do so, unless all of the circumcising women are lesbians!

From this feminist's perspective (me) infant circumcision is a cultural (BOTH genders, not just either one) blind spot and refusal to see truth when it disagrees with one's worldview.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-11-2010 - 11:39pm

"From that author's perspective, it could very well be all about feminism attacking males. Though it would shooting themselves in the vagina (foot) to do so, unless all of the circumcising women are lesbians!"

But would it? A circumcised male is bereft of foreskin, yet still able to impregnate his partner - with effort and sufficient time to achieve orgasm.

I must point out that some lesbians in partnership with their female lover

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-12-2010 - 8:54am

IMO, infant circumcision is not about female power, it is about control.

KristiHannahPiperJackson1.jpg picture by itsirkmr

"Belief is not required.  Once you know this story

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-12-2010 - 10:34am

It is an attempt to control either the child's religion, their sexual practices, their social standing, etc - before the individual child is able to defend himself against any of it.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-12-2010 - 2:54pm

>>>>>>>>>>>
"From that author's perspective, it could very well be all about feminism attacking males. Though it would shooting themselves in the vagina (foot) to do so, unless all of the circumcising women are lesbians!"

But would it? A circumcised male is bereft of foreskin, yet still able to impregnate his partner - with effort and sufficient time to achieve orgasm.
<<<<<<<<<<<

But it's more fun with a foreskin. So maybe "shooting themselves" is a bit extreme, since circumcision is "limiting" but doesn't completely stop the activity.

>>>>>>>>>>>
I must point out that lesbians in partnership with their female lover who both want a baby will accept a male for that purpose.
<<<<<<<<<<

Two words. Turkey Baster. ;o)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
"From this feminist's perspective (me) infant circumcision is a cultural (BOTH genders, not just either one) blind spot and refusal to see truth when it disagrees with one's worldview."

Now you have me confused again. I know you have no children, but you abhor male circumcision - and good for you. But I thought you were male... was I wrong?
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Men can't be feminists?

I'm going to be naughty and leave you wondering. ^_^

">>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Yet in so-called advanced nations, the USA especially, the male is fair game for genital 'correction' it seems. When women give birth to boys and willingly circumcise them, what drives them to do so? A blind cultural norm done in ignorance, or an opportunity to redress historical male dominance?
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

My belief is ignorance. Especially when it's not just the *mothers* who willingly hand over their sons for penile reduction surgery.

Birth boards are rife with heart-rending posts about how the mother doesn't want it done but "has to" (is he her husband or her boss/daddy/king?!?)because the father insists.

And once it's done, these same mothers start spouting the BS about the "benefits" to validate their **choice** to surrender their parental power instead of standing up for their helpless newborn. It makes it easier to live with one's self if one can convince the self that it was a good thing to do.

edited to shorten the >>>>>> s

Edited 3/12/2010 3:55 pm ET by lve2read
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-12-2010 - 9:44pm

Though not ALL... we're not given the

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-12-2010 - 10:12pm
I hope all went well and we "see" you here tomorrow.
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-13-2010 - 9:21pm

Well, I'm here again, as promised!

"But it's more fun with a foreskin."

Of course it is - for both partners, assuming one is female and the other male.

"Two words. Turkey Baster. ;o)"

Hmm... well yes, it's a proven method for home insemination. But unless the semen is frozen a male must be present to supply a fresh sample in a cup or whatever, keeping in mind that sperm live for a maximum of 20 minutes, often less. I have come across lesbians who would rather use a man as nature indented . Seriously. And isn't just 'using' a

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-13-2010 - 10:06pm

"Well, I'm here again, as promised!"
Yay!

"As for you leaving me wondering... that's 'naughty', as you said. It's also teasing. And if I put these together with your signature smiley: ^_^ and your response to me some time ago when I spoke of it favourably, THEN......... you are female!!"

Clever, clever man! (of course there is the advanced search, too, wherein I mention my daughter's future sex life as a reason I care what other parents do to their sons)

"And isn't just 'using' a male in this way a form of feminism?"

I would say no.

Unless using a woman for sex is "masculism". ^_^

It's usually less about "using a male" and more a fantabulous gift from a (male) friend.

(I've heard of the turkey baster being "filled" in one room and "emptied" in another. That would keep the sperm 'fresh')

Or a sperm donor from a clinic, of course.

"The author of the article, I suspect, would advocate female domination, which is a whole new 'ball game' as you North Americans would say. ;)"

I didn't actually read this particular article, so if your representation of the article is accurate, then I do very much agree with your assessment of the author's stance on "feminism". (how was that?) ^_^

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-14-2010 - 12:04am

Kristi, this subject of control is puzzling. I've see it mentioned before, but you put it clearly and succinctly.

"... a desire for control placed into our cultural subconscious."

Branding a boy by circumcision as a religious compulsion I understand, but deeply regret. It's control by proxy and

CL - Circumcision Debate

Pages