My cousin's friend's brother's dad

iVillage Member
My cousin's friend's brother's dad
Fri, 06-18-2010 - 11:45am

You know how we often hear anectotes from people who know people who's friends acuaintence was afflicted because of his foreskin?  I see it brought up here, and see it over and over on PG's, and in conversation with friends.

Intactivists know this is silly, and one can always find a story to support anything.  For example, my grandma got toe cancer at age 70, and had to have her big toe amputated.  I don't want my kids to go through it so I'm going to amputate thier big toe when they are 24 hours old so they won't remember it. 

I just thought I'd report that the same is true for those who are circ'd.  I work in a hospital now, and have worked in a nursing home via clinicals in school.  So far, the only penile calamity I have seen has been due to a circumcision.  I've taken care of many intact patients - all who managed to survive into adulthood without their penis' turning black and falling off.  AMAZING!  Anyway, this week I took care of a lot of intact men, and the thought came to mind that I have never seen a foreskin cause a problem.  Not that I won't - because andy and all body parts can, and do get infected.  The answer, of course, is NOT to cut them off. 

BTW, my grandma really did get toe cancer, and did have her toe amputated :)

KristiHannahPiperJackson1.jpg picture by itsirkmr

"Belief is not required.  Once you know this story, you'll hear it everywhere in your culture, and you'll be astonished that the people around you don't hear it as well but merely take it in."  Daniel Quinn, Ishmael

ththintactbabyboy.gif picture by itsirkmr

March08blinkie.gif picture by itsirkmr

KristiHannahPiperJackson1.jpg picture by itsirkmr

"Belief is not required.  Once you know this story

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-18-2010 - 12:58pm

Very good point Kristi.... Indeed, if people are seeing problems with foreskins (in any environment or age), the first thing that should indicates is that they probably are doing something wrong.
On the other hand, it is often the case that people tend to see what they want to see.

The difference to me, is that being intact is normal and natural and being circumcised is not. That, to me, makes any problems or issues that come up for someone circumcised even worse since they are caused by something that was unnecessary (and dangerous) in the first place. It is such a shame that the risks are skewed to seem in favor of circumcision- or at least to allow the belief that the risks are about equal. I don't know how medical organizations can ethical provide statistics for the lifetime problems of intactness and only provide statistics for problems immediately after circumcision, ignoring such things as meatal stenosis.

Jessica

Photobucket>

PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

<Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-18-2010 - 1:56pm

<

2010 Siggy
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-18-2010 - 6:35pm

These "I know someone who knows someone who's father's granddad had to be circumcised when he was 96" kind of remarks have abounded in the US for many years. And would you believe that when I first came across them on debate boards and articles, I actually

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-24-2010 - 7:22pm

IMO, it's all justification.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-25-2010 - 9:39am

<

2010 Siggy
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-25-2010 - 11:44am

Rob

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-26-2010 - 3:48pm
"Oh look at our beautiful little newborn, so innocent and perfect, now let's remove part of his/her genitalia" - really, outside of cultural or religious practice, there are no other words to describe that except sick and perverted.

So true !!

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-27-2010 - 3:12pm

Also, suprisingly the blindness to the actual problems from circumcision like its so normal happening to families around them and they are going yeah it happened to my son so they Treat The Real Problems Happening from the Circumcision as It's Not a Big Deal .

Maybe it because they don't want to believe they caused their son's to have that problem.

On another site I mentioned something as in doing a poll Since DH/SO want their kids to look like them so I was wondering how many of you asked your DH/SO if they knew what their penis status was and wives said that their dh/SO gave them a weird look because to a guy would be like why would my wife/gf want to know if my dad was circ'ed or not ?

Also, this one time of the locker room myth how we hear of all intact guys getting teased and how