CDC & AAP - news please??

iVillage Member
CDC & AAP - news please??
Tue, 06-22-2010 - 9:02pm

Does anyone have any idea how long it will be before they update their threatened statements on infant circumcision? Or has it now become nothing more than a media hype in the wake of the debunked African 'studies'?

Intact America was founded because of the threat, but is now much less active in its informative e-mail communication to its members - other than asking constantly for more money. And have any of you who are members ever seen a published public letter in the media, or a copy of a direct letter to the CDC or AAP from Intact America, which points to the oddity and foolishness of promoting infant circumcision as a cure for an adult disease? I haven't!

What's going on across the pond about this? In the UK we hear nothing about this issue any more. Our boys happily keep their foreskins and no one doubts they should.

Christopher

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-24-2010 - 7:56pm
Chris, I have no idea. But my feeling is that what will come will be a suggestion to roll back the Medicaid progress we've made and insure that other insurance plans cover it it so that parents have the "option" *rolls eyes* if they want it.
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-25-2010 - 3:35am

No clue, but Intact America seems to think it will be soon.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-25-2010 - 7:08pm

"But my feeling is that what will come will be a suggestion to roll back the Medicaid progress we've made and insure that other insurance plans cover it it so that parents have the "option" *rolls eyes* if they want it."

I suppose that's better than recommending a wholesale return to the dark days of routine infant circumcision, which was purported to be their intention.

Christopher

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-25-2010 - 8:36pm
I suppose. To be honest I think one of the reasons that they've been dragging their heels this much is that they were hoping (waiting) for other data to come in that would be more favorable to the position they would prefer to have. Those "African Trials" were in reality a much larger project then just the circumcision of men.

Notice that just about every paper that has been published regarding circumcision have come from the same group of authors and essentially the same experiments. There have been some notable failures along the way though such as:

Adult Male Circumcision Does Not Reduce the Risk of Incident Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Chlamydia trachomatis, or Trichomonas vaginalis Infection: Results from a Randomized, Controlled Trial in Kenya

The NEJM paper that was widely circulated last march (the one that spoke about HPV and HSV) was also based of those "African Studies". It also found no association with Syphilis though this was sidelined of course. That paper about circumcision and women was out of these African studies recall that it found that it didn't help women and may have even made the situation worse.

There was even this most recent one: http://layscience.net/node/1057

All these papers (and more) all are derived from the same sources. So you can see they've been trying hard to make their case, the horse has been dead a long time of course. Let's not also forget the high profile failures of HIV protection in gay men. There have been five or six papers, many with very large groups of men, which have consistently pointed to NO but they keep trying.

So while I do think that they think they still have a case, I don't think it's as air tight as they had hoped when they started this crusade way back, probably about 2000 since the first sets of African trials started recruiting in 2002. Interestingly that wasn't long after the AAP said circumcision was not at all necessary. Coincidence? hard to say.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-25-2010 - 8:43pm

Elissa, thanks for the link. I have seen it before, but your 'nudge' made me

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-25-2010 - 8:57pm

Interesting information, Fellowtraveler, thank you.

"Interestingly that wasn't long after the AAP said circumcision was not at all necessary. Coincidence? hard to say."

Sometimes a perceived coincidence is the result of cause and effect. I'm inclined to think that may be true here. But, as you suggest: hard to say.

Christopher

CL - Circumcision Debate

CL - Circumcision Debate

Community Leader
Sat, 06-26-2010 - 1:41pm
I heard from one of the doctors here that they will be updating their statement in August or September and they will be recommending circumcision again.
fall siggie
Thank you to mom2jess_n_ky for my beautiful siggy!
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-26-2010 - 2:59pm

I heard from one of the doctors here that they will be updating their statement in August or September and they will be recommending circumcision again.

The same tired old CYA routine again completely destroys their creditability on this issue.

rvl

Rob

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-26-2010 - 7:20pm

Stacey, if that really does turn out to be the case, it will go down in history as one of the very worst decisions any Western medical authority has made in 50 years.

At its best, such an outcome

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-01-2010 - 9:38pm

<>

Where is 'here', may I ask? How is this doctor connected to the AAP/CDC?

<>

I read just the opposite from a doctor on the steering committee. She said that it would most likely be a neutral statement to the effect that "parents should be told the pros and cons", and that it would not be a recommendation/endorsement of circ.

Pages