Peel an Onion...

iVillage Member
Peel an Onion...
Sun, 07-18-2010 - 11:32pm

... and we weep.

"In the 19th century the role of the foreskin in erotic sensation was well understood by physicians who wanted to cut it off precisely because they considered it the major factor leading boys to masturbation.

"The Victorian physician and venereologist William Acton (1814–1875) damned it as "a source of serious mischief", and most of his contemporaries concurred. Both opponents and supporters of circumcision agreed that the significant role the foreskin played in sexual response was the main reason why it should be either left in place or removed. William Hammond, a Professor of Mind in New York in the late 19th century, commented that "circumcision, when performed in early life, generally lessens the voluptuous sensations of sexual intercourse", and both he and Acton considered the foreskin necessary for optimal sexual function, especially in old age. Jonathan Hutchinson, English surgeon and pathologist (1828–1913), and many others, thought this was the main reason why it should be excised."

I have over 300 'favorites' (sic) saved on the subject of male circumcision. Some I have already used on our board. This one I haven't until now... and it's more 'informative' than debatable.

But it serves to illustrate 19th century British and American shared beliefs in the efficacy of removing the foreskin. It "lessens the voluptuous sensations of sexual intercourse." Then and now - a hundred+ years later, a penis is a penis is a penis.

Peel a foreskin... and how many weep?

I - and others like me - live to tell the tale.

Christopher

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-30-2010 - 12:35am

"circumcision, when performed in early life, generally lessens the voluptuous sensations of sexual intercourse", and both he and Acton considered the foreskin necessary for optimal sexual function, especially in old age.

At least they understood that a foreskin has value and plays a significant role in the sexual enjoyment experienced by the owner.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-30-2010 - 10:23pm

Thank you for your reply, Hak... my thread was more 'informative' than designed to invite discussion, as I said... but I did hope that someone would have something to say about it - and I'm glad you did.

"We have gone backwards."

Yes - to a point of fuzzy logic. The very purpose of removing the foreskin in the first place was to deprive a boy and his eventual manhood of pleasure. To

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 7:03am

Christopher, this immediately reminded me of one of the reasons for female circumcision, . . . to reduce what others see as "excess sexuality."

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 9:26am

The CDC was being heavily lobbied to recommend that circumcision become mandatory in The US and for them to recommend to Congress that legislation be passed in that regard.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-02-2010 - 7:03pm

"Thankfully, there was an outcry against this and it died before anything happened but we must stay on guard as those people have not given up yet and may return."

Intact America is doing a sterling job at present and they were largely instrumental in persuading the CDC to retract its suggestion of a symbolic 'prick' to female genitals. I have every hope that IA's influence will play an equally

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 6:51am

Why do you suppose they are so hell bent on making infant circumcision mandatory and universal?

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 9:04pm
Thanks Frank,
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-04-2010 - 5:12am

Thanks Frank,

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-04-2010 - 8:24pm

"Witness England where it was virtually ended about 60 years ago..."

Correct, of course. Thankfully.

"...yet the majority of the proponents outside North America come from England."

Frank, are you talking about English proponents for or against male infant circumcision? I assume 'against' -

CL - Circumcision Debate

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-04-2010 - 8:55pm

Frank, are you talking about English proponents for or against male infant circumcision? I assume 'against' -

Pages