Word is getting out!

iVillage Member
Word is getting out!
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 11:25am

I have twin boys, almost 16 years old. Both like to play on-line computer games, and sometimes participate in bulletin boards - both on topic and off.

A few weeks ago one of  my sons told me that there had been an off-topic discussion on one of the gaming boards (I don't know which one) about circumcision. As an intact teenager, he already has strong feelings against circumcision, and was interested in the responses. He told me that he learned from one of the posters that the foreskin contains thousands of nreve endings (probably something he already knew from experience, but had never seen in print). From his comments about the discussion, it seemed that there was a lot of good, factual information about forekins, and a fair amount of opposition to circumcision, in a group mostly comprised of young males.

My son didn't add to the discussion, but said there were a LOT of posts. Parents who believes that their son will be fine with his circumcision because he'll never know what he's missing might be surprised at where their sons could learn a LOT about foreskins and circumcision!

I was very pleased to learn that the word is getting out there, in a group that most needs to hear it.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 11:35am
Awesome!

KristiHannahPiperJackson1.jpg picture by itsirkmr

"Belief is not required.  Once you know this story

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 1:43pm

That's great that the word is spreading among the youth.

2010 Siggy
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 9:15pm

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 9:31pm
No question word is getting out. The resources available (such as message boards) assure that even those who live in areas of high circumcision will know that while it may be common (in their area) it's not normal. Think about what it was like before this much information was readily available, most would have thought that boys/men were born that way. No more. With message boards and other social networking sites the level of ignorance continues to decrease.
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-03-2010 - 10:17pm

Ann, "Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings..." And was Wordsworth's "The child is father of the man" ever more true?

We educate, guide and discipline our children, but we should also learn from their innocent wisdom.

Christopher

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-04-2010 - 5:30am

I was very pleased to learn that the word is getting out there, in a group that