Are they really quacks?

iVillage Member
Are they really quacks?
Sun, 08-08-2010 - 11:12am

For all of of their professional credentials, skills and expertise, are doctors who routinely recommend and perform non therapeutic circumcisions on infant males; are they not in fact "quacks" in performing this procedure?

This is not to say that a doctor is a quack in the performance of all of his/her medical regimens, but rather the single procedure of performing routine neonatal circumcisions on infants with no medical indications to warrant the procedure is an act of quackery. Please keep in mind that the removal of normal, healthy (undiseased) bodily tissue is not a medical procedure or even a cosmetic surgery. Cosmetic procedures are performed to reconstruct, to repair or enhance bodily tissue therefore as RIC accomplishes none of these objectives it renders RIC an act of purposeful mutilation (not done of course with the intention to mutilate, but never the less accomplishes only that in the end)

The defintion of "quack" as given by one on-line dictionary is: "a pretender to medical skill", if RIC is not a medical procedure or a cosmetic surgery than just what is it? "unethical misuse of medical skills" perhaps?

"if 'Mother Nature' had meant for men to have foreskins, 'she' would have made certain that baby boys were born with them. One cannot logically deny that which is self evident"

Edited 8/10/2010 12:12 pm ET by rob08

Rob

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-08-2010 - 12:13pm

No more than all the ones who perform back and knee surgeries after an MRI even though the evidence shows that surgery is NOT the best option in most cases.

They are, in general, good doctors who help far more than they harm but have this one (or two) area of ignorance and entrenched beliefs that they just can't seem to allow the light of truth to seep into.

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-08-2010 - 12:52pm

No more than all the ones who perform back and knee surgeries after an MRI even though the evidence shows that surgery is NOT the best option in most cases.

They are, in general, good doctors who help far more than they harm but have this one (or two) area of ignorance and entrenched beliefs that they just can't seem to allow the light of truth to seep into.

Good points!

Rob

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-08-2010 - 3:11pm
Depends what their real motivation is for their beliefs.
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-08-2010 - 3:14pm

Oh, I don't know.

It's a different body part but the functionality is still negatively affected for the rest of the persons life.

Usually with the "best of intentions", the doctor's intent to improve the patient's quality of life however misguided and ignorant the action.

One very huge difference is that the back/knee patient has the opportunity to get a second opinion and/or do their own research from the latest studies and the infant has absolutely no say in what alterations are made to his most intimate, personal part until much, much later and then it's too late of course.

So I'd say that the majority (there are always exceptions of course) of circumcising doctors are NOT quacks, they've either not been taught the truth or the cognitive dissonance is too strong for them to get past.

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-08-2010 - 6:21pm

So I'd say that the majority (there are always exceptions of course) of circumcising doctors are NOT quacks, they've either not been taught the truth or the cognitive dissonance is too strong for them to get past.

This is not to say that a

Rob

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-08-2010 - 7:40pm

"They are, in general, good doctors who help far more than they harm but have this one (or two) area of ignorance and entrenched beliefs that they just can't seem to allow the light of truth to seep into."

Or is it a matter of cognitive denial, turning a blind eye to their own actions? Forget entrenched beliefs, there's no excuse for ignorance among medical professionals.

Christopher

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance." Will Durant

"Almost any manmade phenomenon is explained by tradition, inertia - or both." Anon

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend.

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-08-2010 - 11:18pm

"Or is it a matter of cognitive denial, turning a blind eye to their own actions? Forget entrenched beliefs, there's no excuse for ignorance among medical professionals."

Yep, that too.

And I agree, there is no excuse, especially when the truth IS known and is being taught and has to be willfully ignored to continue the practice of RIC.

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-08-2010 - 11:38pm

"... if RIC is not a medical procedure or a cosmetic surgery than just what is it?"

It's genital modification surgery, for cosmetic purposes, just like tattoos and piercing.

And an adult male has every right to have such modifications done to his own penis. Tattoo, piercing, partial circumcision, complete circumcision, what ever!

But infants don't get a choice about this surgical genital modification, even though the parents won't typically even SEE the child's penis for 7/8ths of the child's life.

Since the child is the one who will use the penis, the grown child should get to decide whether or not to have his surgically modified AND have full access to information about how the genital modification will affect his future.

(For those who might otherwise be unaware, yes, people DO get genitals tattooed and pierced. Prince Albert piercing includes a ring going into the urethra at the glans and coming out right through the shaft an inch or so behind the glans and there are pictures of penile tattoos and piercings available online. The most "interesting" I've seen was Puff the Magic Dragon, with the penis being the dragon's neck, head and face)

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-09-2010 - 6:09am

"Or is it a matter of cognitive denial, turning a blind eye to their own actions? Forget entrenched beliefs, there's no excuse for ignorance among medical professionals."

I've been thinking about this for a day trying to figure out how to reply.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-09-2010 - 11:45am

Rob

Pages