the CDC and health?

iVillage Member
the CDC and health?
Mon, 08-16-2010 - 6:15pm

What does the nation's health have to do with circumcised versus intact males? Why is the intact male a threat to the public health anymore than an intact female or, not to be offensive, anal hygiene for that matter? What is the CDC's real agenda by bringing circumcision into the health forum?

" that which is self evident cannot logically be denied "

Rob

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-17-2010 - 2:53am

I'm sure it's just like every other government entity in that they want the most influence possible. Health is just their pathetic excuse.

Why circumcision? I don't think I know enough to speculate on the CDC specifically, but I think the motivation behind people who fight so fervently for other people's children to be circumcised is because they want validation for a practice that's been ingrained into their identity in some way. I guess for some it's much easier to fight and push for circumcision to remain the norm (here in the US at least) than have to possibly consider that their culture and their identity has been a sham. These people don't want to feel like what they are and what they've been taught is just a result of some pointless cultural trend. So naturally, some are going to fight very hard to prevent that notion from prevailing, and they do that by having the powers that be validating and encouraging otherwise. It's easy to be comfortable with who you are if more people are like you.

Men don't want to feel like they're impaired, women don't want to feel like the penis they've always experienced is impaired, parents don't want to feel like they've impaired their kids, doctors don't want to feel like they've impaired their patients, and Americans don't want to feel like the barbarians that they're supposed to be better than.

It's all about their egos being satisfied and some people will go to incredible lengths to satisfy their ego. It has absolutely nothing to do with health.

Edited 8/17/2010 3:04 am ET by markh85
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-17-2010 - 8:02am

Men don't want to feel like they're impaired, women don't want to feel like the penis they've always experienced is impaired, parents don't want to feel like they've impaired their kids, doctors don't want to feel like they've impaired their patients, and Americans don't want to feel like the barbarians that they're supposed to be better than.

It's all about their egos being satisfied and some people will go to incredible lengths to satisfy their ego. It has absolutely nothing to do with health.

I think you're quite correct that it has nothing to do with health but I also don't think it has anything to do with ego either.

It has been solidly installed into our culture and that is not easy to overcome.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-17-2010 - 2:35pm

That part of my post sounded too general than I meant it to be, sorry, I was ranting. I agree with what you say and it sounds right on, I was speculating about the people who fervently fight for others to get their kids circumcised.

"There are also those men who are circumcised and subconsciously feel they must defend the practice as well as those with religious obligations. They will fight to the very end to defend the practice."

Which definitely says something about how insecure they are with themselves. They need studies and the CDC to validate what happened to them.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-17-2010 - 5:54pm

Which definitely says something about how insecure they are with themselves. They need studies and the CDC to validate what happened to them.

What is the CDCs agenda here?

Rob

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-18-2010 - 6:33am

What is the CDCs agenda here?

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-18-2010 - 8:26pm

"It shows that a small group can have an enormous impact on the culture."

Possibly, yes... and if any organised group in the US is responsible for this, I believe it's Intact America -

CL - Circumcision Debate

"Education is the discovery of our own ignorance.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-19-2010 - 6:16am

Possibly, yes... and if any organised group in the US is responsible for this, I believe it's Intact America -