After a c-section, when is it safe....?

iVillage Member
After a c-section, when is it safe....?
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 7:49pm
to get pregnant again? I had an emergancy c/s 8 months ago, and was wondering how long you have to wait... when its safe! Thanks!

Megan
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 11:43am
The answer to that really varies. Most doctors recommend 12mo between delivery and pregnancy for *any* birth just to replenish your body and allow it time to recover (regardless of c/s or vaginal). I've heard some doctors say that your scar is as strong as it will be 3mo after birth (and some say 6mo). If you want to attempt a vbac, they recommend waiting 9-10mo at least before TTC again (they show potential lower rates of Uterine Rupture with an interdelivery time of at least 19mo between births)

All that being said, I got pregnant with #2 9mo after my c/s, and then had a vbac. I got pregnant with #3 9mo after my vbac ;) it wasn't so bad to be pregnant so soon after the first one, but I've got to say I'm exhausted right now with two little toddlers and a big growing belly- lol!

good luck :)

kris

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 8:08pm
I too have heard that most doctors advise waiting a year between delivery and the next conception. I had a c/s then concieved 13 months later, had a repeat c/s 22 months from my first delivery and then concieved again 15 months later. There have been no complications from the deliveries being so close, and I am scheduled for my 3rd c/s on May 2nd.

The recovery has gotten progressively easier with each one, too.

Good luck to you on your plans for more children.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 11:39am
I have been told 18 months between deliveries is a safe time, but it really depends on the individual. Some women heel better and quicker, and they can deliver closer between c-sections. I think the closer they are, the higher the risk of uterine rupture as the incision may still be weak.

Talk to your OB, and see what they recommend for your circumstances. Hope that helps.

Kelly

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 12:10pm
I got pregnant 3 months after my repeat c-section (not on purpose, LOL!) and that's definitely not something I would recommend! I had major problems with my subsequent pregnancy, mainly due to the placenta not attaching fully due to scar tissue from my c-section. I had bleeding the entire time and ended up PROMing at 25 weeks and delivering at 27 weeks.

That being said, I would think 18 months would be appropriate. I remember a study from a few years ago that said 18-24 months between pregnancies is ideal, no matter what type of delivery you had.

Good luck to you!

Mary