What do I need to prepare?

iVillage Member
What do I need to prepare?
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 6:30am
Since I will have a 22 month old when I get home from the hospital, what can you ladies suggest I do to prepare for the fact that I won't be able to lift him?

We've already got plans to transition him into a toddler bed and onto a chair at dinner. He is capable of getting into and out of the tub with just a little help, and loves to walk on his own anyway. I'm sure he'll figure out how to climb into and out of the car over the next 7 months.

Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks!

Melissa

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 9:24pm
I would also start reinforcing the idea that he is always welcome to (carefully) crawl up into your lap for a cuddle.

<p>Tracy<br>
<div align="center">

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 11:41am
That is exactly how old my son was when I had my daughter. Unfortunately for me, I was on bed rest for the last few weeks, and was having PTL symptoms long before that, so my OB told me very early to "stop" lifting him... I think that helped the transition for him. I also allowed him to climb into the car (with me holding a had to his back) and into his high chair (which eventually became a booster seat at the table) so that he could gain his independence. Sure, there were times that he would melt down because I couldn't "hold" him. In that instance, I usually sat on a chair of on my knees and gave him big hugs.

Hope that helps!

Kelly

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 1:36pm
Hey Melissa :)

dakotah was 18mo when dallas was born (and dallas'll be 18mo when this one's born), so I needed to do some of that stuff too. Although I had a vbac with dallas, I wasn't allowed to lift dakotah for a while (b/c of the extensive stitching I had) and he had a lot of trouble understanding that :( When he'd come over and want to be picked up, I'd get down on the floor so he could sit on my lap and cuddle instead. I told him I couldn't pick him up yet, but htat I wanted to cuddle with him as much as possible. We still had him in a high chair at that point and just lowered it so he could climb in. I also let him climb up on the couch next to me a lot. dakotah (2 1/2 now) still has trouble climbing all the way into his car seat, but he can climb up most of the way, so that'll help you out even if he can't climb all the way up.

we transitioned dakotah to the toddler bed *after* we had dallas (dakotah was about 20m when we did it) and it went really well. I've read that you should either do that transition a month or so after baby comes OR several months before. If you do it too close to baby's arrival, there's a bigger chance of backsliding. I waited since I had a cosleeper for dallas anyway (and dakotah was so young still)- but that meant I had to have dh home to put dakotah into the crib for a while :( Just wanted to point that out in case you hadn't heard that.

kris edd #3 9/3

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 1:45pm
Thanks Kris! Since DH works nights, I don't have the option of keeping Evan in a crib. We're transitioning him at the beginning of August, and the baby will be born in late November.... That should be far enough in advance, right?

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 8:20pm
definitely plenty of time I would think!! I'm still so excited you're pregnant :) yaay!~kris nt