How many C-Sections has everyone had? *M

iVillage Member
How many C-Sections has everyone had? *M
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 3:51am
Hi there,

I am just curious as to how many c-sections everyone has had (or is planning to have). I have had three and had a TL with my last one. I am looking at having a TR now as I would love to have another baby. I know it would be a c-section, but am curious as to how many everyone has had.

Also, does anyone know what the maximum # of c-sections recommended is? I have heard of people having 12, but don't know if that is true or not.

Thanks for your replies.....

Anne

(New Zealand)

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 7:53am
This upcoming one will be my second, and I'll probably have another after that. 3 kids seems "right" to me.

Melissa (edd Dec 1st)

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 11:44am
Hi Anne! Good luck to you! I have only had 2 c-sections, but after my second one, my OB said I was healthy enough to have 3 more!

I think the number of c-sections really depends on the person. Was your last c-section complicated? Did the doctor seem to think there was a risk for your next pregnancy? I think if you are having a TR, then your doctor will probably have a better look at your scar area, and will make a better determination. Of course, you can always get pregnant, it is just that you may have a riskier pregnancy and delivery with each subsequent c-section.

Best wishes to you!

Kelly

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 12:01pm
Just one here (and a vbac, hoping for another vbac this go-round)- I was told when I had my first that 3 was the max recommended. IRL I know someone who's had 4, and I've heard of women on this board having 6 or 7! I guess it's probably a case-by-case basis. If they go well with few comlications and good healing, then perhaps you can have more?

kris

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 1:25pm
I read in the Guinness book of records, that the max ever done was 11. Since that was the 2002 edition, I believe it. It also said "more than 4 is not generally recommended". That' s not a medical source (I wouldn't go by that) but some people on this board have reported getting flack from their doctors at that number.
Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 4:25pm
This baby will be my 3rd section. I have heard that there is recommended limit, but I wonder how true that can really be? Guess it depends on the doctor. I wish you luck with a quick pg if you do go ahead with the TR.

~Michelle

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 10:46pm
I'm scheduled to have my third planned C/S on May 22. I will have a tubal ligation during the surgery.

How was your recovery afte rthe tubal? Any different from other C/S recovery?

~Tracy, 31 weeks with #3

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 3:06am
hi anne, i remember u from ages ago!! i've had 5 c/s and are allowed another. a while back, there was a q in the T magazine asking the same thing.....the reply from a doc was so long as u don't go into active labour for too long u can have as many as u like. good luck!

lynda in c/otago

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 2:39am
Hi Lynda,

I'm glad you're still around. I didn't recognise any names or anything when I re-visited the other day.

So will you have a 6th?

What is the T Magazine?

Anne.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 2:41am
Hi Tracy,

My recovery wasn't any different I don't think. I certainly don't remember anything "sticking" out that was different from the previous 2 c-sxn's.

I hope your c-sxn goes well and the TL. Just don't make the same mistake as me. Be 100% sure that you want the TL before going ahead and have that decision made and be happy with it before your baby is born.

All the best.....

Anne.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 9:49am
What is TL? I've just had one c/s, but would like to try for a VBAC next year. I'd like to have 2 more children. I know if the VBAC doesn't work I may end up with 2 more c/s. I don't like the thought of it to tell you the truth. Somewhere I heard/read that 3 c/s was the max recommended, but like everything, it would be on a patient to patient basis and if you don't scar too badly then more would be fine as long as you don't go into labor. Good luck!

Pages