Need words of comfort on epi for c/s

iVillage Member
Need words of comfort on epi for c/s
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 4:35pm
I am hoping to get some stories from any ladies here that have had an epidural for their c/s. I am having my c/s on May 22 and this will be the first time I have been awake for a section.

Please be very honest! I'm a big old chicken, but the truth is always the best policy. I am making myself sick about having an epi, please help calm my fears.

Hugs,

Michelle

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 6:43pm
Hi Michelle! I've had both an epi and a spinal for my c-sections, and honestly, they are not bad at all! If you are worried about the needle, don't be! Honestly, the part that hurt the most for me was the nurse squeezed my hands too hard while the doctor was inserting the needle - didn't feel a thing!

My epidural was great and I didn't feel a thing during surgery. Compared to a spinal, it took longer to wear off, so I much preferred the spinal (which I was actually more afraid of) They also do many tests to make sure you don't feel anything before they start. You will be fine!

Best wishes to you!

Kelly

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 7:44pm
Hi Michelle. With my 1st c/s, I was under gen. anes., so like you, I was kind of worried about the "shot in the back". But, my 2nd daughter was born in July 2002 & I had a scheduled c/s with an epidural. I can honestly say that the shot didn't hurt that bad - not like I thought it would have! I had had a few contractions that were starting to get uncomforable so I was ready for something - shots, meds, whatever!! After the epidural was put in, it was about 15 - 30 minutes before they took me to the OR to do the surgery. Being awake was not as bad as I thought either. I have panic attacks & I thought I would just fruit out being on the table with them "in there", but I didn't. They may have given me some "don't care" meds, I don't know. After the surgery, had the shakes for about 30 minutes, but it wasn't that bad. After I got over them in recovery, I was taken to my room & went home 30 hours later. (I also had my tubes tied). I wish I had had the opportuity to have an epidural with my 1st c/s, but I had preeclampsia & she was born at 32 weeks, so their main objective was to just get her out asap!

Anyway, sorry so long!!! - Hugs & congratulations!!! - Lee Ann, Hannah & Faith
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 10:42pm
Hey, I'm having a C/S at 8 am on the 22nd!!! We'll have to send each other lots of ++ vibes that day.

The epidural was a bit scary my first time. However, after the procedure, I told my husband that it felt like nothing compared to getting the IV placed in my hand. Ouch!!!

It's a weird sensation, I got a twinge in my back, hip, and leg the first time that made me worry. It was, of course, normal.

My 2nd epidural was much easier to take because I knew what to expect. And I didn;t get that weird twinge.

Good luck!

~Tracy, #3 due 6/4 (our first boy!)

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-31-2003 - 10:44pm
Hey wait-- I just read your profile and saw that we have more in common-- two DDs and now a DS on the way. And your birthday is only 3 days after mine!

~Tracy