Are things just different in Canada?

iVillage Member
Are things just different in Canada?
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 11:20am
I've read a bunch of posts about the procedure for the sections and what not, and your stories don't jive with what happened with my first baby.

That one was "technically" an emergency, but they were prepping the OR when I started to push, so nobody was surprised. They prepped me and DH, I went to the OR and got set up and DH was called in after the first incision. After Evan was born, DH got to sit by my head and hold him, and than when they wheeled me back to my room right after the surgery, he followed along behind with the baby. There was no recovery room and no separation at all. I expect that things will happen much the same way this time.

Is it just me, or is this a different sort of experience from what some of you have had?

Melissa (edd Dec 1st)

Photobucket

<

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 11:33am
Procedures in the US differ. Lots of hospitals are essentially private businesses, and different businesses are free to do things differently. What you're describing would be close to my experience, if the baby hadn't needed to go to NICU (The only nursery they had.) Even so, DH was there throughout the surgery, and got to cut the umbilical cord. I've also heard of experiences where the mother was not allowed to have the baby with her, unless someone else was there-- nurse, husband, or relative.
Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 12:57pm
It could be different here, but I also think Hospitals vary in procedure too. Some hospitals may have private rooms where they can monitor you like they can in the "recovery" area. Be thankful - sounds like a wonderful experience, and thanks for sharing!

Kelly

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 4:43pm
then and again, with me in new zealand, this could be different too! my last was emergency @37w, I was prepped while in labour. dh wasn't there for the birth. I was allowed to hold ds while being sewed up. I was able to bf in recovery, then was wheeled back to my room with ds in my bed (at my request).

A 'normal' one for me would be to be prepped while dh is getting suited up, we both enter theatre at the same time. dh would hold baby while i'm being sewed up, I go to recovery with baby, then baby and I get wheeled in my bed (at my request) to my room.

Lynda (5 c-sections)