Question for BTDT moms Re: BF

iVillage Member
Question for BTDT moms Re: BF
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 6:59am
Hi all-

I just had a little thought this AM. It happens. Anyway, I really want to try breastfeeding again this time. Didn't go so well with DD. However, this time if there are issues, I want to pump. Not only because I feel it's better than formula, it's FREE! LOL *WOW* has formula gone up in price since I had DD! Sheesh!

So here's the question: If I don't labor first, how does my body know to start producing milk? Is there some trigger other than laboring?

TIA~

Shari

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 10:49am
LOL - I sometimes think in the morning too! Seriously, I believe someone once said here that the removal of the Placenta itself is what triggers the hormones into producing milk. I had an easier time BFing my second child because my recovery was so less painful - however, even though she latched right away, and I was consistent to BF every 3 to 4 hours, my milk still didn't come in until day 4. I'm not sure why it took me so long to get my milk both times. With my son, it did not come in until day 5.

Anyway - yes, Breastmilk is so much cheaper than formula! However, after breastfeeding my daughter for a couple of months, I started her on Carnation Good Start which is half the price of other formulas, and she does really well on it!

Best wishes to you!

Kelly

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 11:57am
I like to use my story as an example. 40-yo woman, 1st kid, premature baby, c-section. If ANYONE didn't know to lactate, it would be me. It actually worked rather well (though we were doing serious pumping for quite a few weeks. That was, of course, because of the prematurity, not the c-section.)

I understand that 4 days or longer before your milk comes in is not really uncommon, especially if you're depending on a sleepy baby to suck & stimulate. My best recommendation is that if you think you need to pump for a short time to get your milk started, use the biggest, strongest, honking rental you can obtain. I've had the rental; I bought a high-quality consumer-grade pump -- there's no comparison.

Edited 4/8/2003 1:02:56 PM ET by ca_dreamer

Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-03-2003 - 8:00pm
baby suckling is a *big* trigger ;) They say the sooner baby gets on the breast, the better bf relationship you'll likely have. My first was an unplanned c/s after some induced labor (but I never felt a single contrax) and he was on the breast within the first hour. We had a lot of trouble nursing anyway-- I think in large part because he wasn't ready to be born and was severely jaundiced (ended up hospitalized for jaundice and wasn't allowed to be taken out- that's how severe). I pumped for him and bottlefed him for a while, then used nipple shields to get him on, and by 6wk had weaned him from nipple shields and we had a great nursing relationship for over a year.

If you have trouble this time around again, I'd definitely suggest pumping in the meantime while still trying to get baby latched on. Pumping is the next best thing- esp if the milk is FRESH given to baby (when you refrigerate/freeze, it loses some of the special qualities that make it superior), BUT it's a lot easier to nurse straight from the source, imo! Plus no bottles to wash or pumps to wash/put together, etc. Definitely check out the bf support board on pp- it's a *great* source of info from people of all walks of life. With my second child, btw, nursing was a breeze! Perhaps you'll have that experience this time around! Good luck :)

kris

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 12:09am
Shari-

I'm just a pop-in lurker from the Breastfeeding board. It is your baby's suckling that will stimulate your breasts to produce milk. My recommendation is that you request to see a lactation consultant right away to make sure that the baby's latch is correct, and nurse often for as long as the baby likes. I also invite you to come post your question on the Breastfeeding board, everyone over there is GREAT, and will be able to offer you much advice. Incidentally, my milk didn't come in for a week, and Katherine's managed just fine.

HTH

Carrie

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-08-2003 - 6:13pm
Hiya - I haven't read the other responses so for what its worth here goes...

1. If you can commit to BF for 6 weeks I bet you will be able to continue for as long as you like. Those first weeks are the hardest all around (not just BFing but a NEW BABY is here). You can be more psychologically prepared if you can tell yourself "I am keeping my 6 week commitment, it isn't long, if it doesn't work I can stop" Give yourself permission to stop without feeling guilty. My friend nixed bfing her DS after 4 days. WIth the 2nd one I gave her the above advice and 10.5 months later guess who's still nursing?

2. Keep the # to the LLL on hand and their web address. Your L&D dept should be able to assist you via telephone as well - they are there 24 hours. If it gets really bad a $40 investment in a IBCLC is worth it.

3. I couldn't squeeze a drop into a pump with my 1st one. I had milk for DAYS - never had to worry about supply lol but I couldn't do it for a pump. Don't be discouraged and seek some help like in #2 - I didn't do that with my first and I should have.

4. Your body will know - it doesn't take labor to make milk (I have had one vaginal and one c/s delivery so far). You won't have milk at first but dont worry - your baby won't feel hunger pains for several days anyways. You'll have colostrum and thats what your brand new baby needs. Many moms freak out and think their baby isn't getting enough b/c of this and they give up. Your milk will come in as a result of your change in hormones and your baby's suckling.

5. If your baby is wetting diapers (some bf babies poop each time some poop every few days) on a regular basis he's getting enough. Don't worry if you can't SEE how much he's getting.

HTH

Jillian who nursed Alex for 14 months and Allison for 19 months and who will nurse this next honey pea for however long seems right.