Music in the OR?

iVillage Member
Music in the OR?
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 12:04pm
Has anyone had music playing in the OR during their c/s (either "out loud" so everyone can hear it or on headphones so that only you can hear it)? Just wondering if this is a totally crazy idea. It's not so much for the baby's birth but for the 30+ minutes it takes to sew me up, I think it would really help me stay calm.

Is this totally off the wall?

Thanks,

Hillary EDD 7/8/03

iVillage Member
In reply to: hfrazey
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 12:11pm
Not at all, but you might want to coordinate beforehand with the surgeon. (Sometimes THEY want music playing for themselves.)
Cthulu Crochet

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 4:08pm
Great idea about headphones! With my Son, they had us bring in our own CDs, but the CD player was broken! With my Daughter, they didn't ask if we had any CDs, but they were playing James Taylor, which was very relaxing. Bring your favorite if you want, all that can happen is they won't let you use it!
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 9:02pm
Patsy Cline was playing during mine. Beforehand, they asked if it was okay with me. Truthfully, though, once everything started I never remember hearing it at all. The headphones sound like a great idea! Good luck!
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 5:44pm
i had meatloaf roaring in the or...but i don't remember which song. the staff offered to play music, and i said whatever was fine. just ask your ob, and put it in your birthplan.
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-06-2003 - 6:48pm
I am a lurker after 2 c sections... just wanted to tell my music story. After 36 hours of unproductive labor I had a section with my first daughter. Here I was, scared, tired, in pain and the surgeon has "Why don't we get drunk and scr*$" by Jimmy Buffet blaring in the operating room. That song didn't really relax me or bring happy thoughts in those circumstances!

Just had to share.

Linda