How long ? Several post c/s questions

iVillage Member
How long ? Several post c/s questions
Fri, 04-11-2003 - 11:07am
I had a scheduled repeat c-section on Tuesday 4/8/2003. And have been blessed with a beautiful baby girl!

I did have a c-section with my first but it was after 23 hours of labor, and was 4 1/2 years ago, so I have forgotten a whole lot! So, I would really REALLY appreciate your insight, at least on what you experienced!

How long ...

Did it take for your milk to come in?

Did it take before you were able to move "fairly" easily?

Did it take before you could get in and out of bed without major pain? Any suggestions on how to make this easier?

Did it take before you could be fairly self-sufficient as far as getting up and down and doing the basic care things with you and your baby?

Did it take before you stopped bleeding?

If you had swelling, how long, where and how bad?

What are your best BFing recommendations, especially to help at night. I seem to take 5 minutes just to get out of bed ... then 5 minutes to get pillows all in place etc. Really could use some tips!

I guess that is enough for now ... but in general I would love to hear your experiences post c/s!

All the best to everyone!

Tina

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-12-2003 - 5:13am
Congratulations on the birth of your daughter!

I'll try to answer your questions.

How long ...

Did it take for your milk to come in?

~about 72 hours after DD#1, about 24-36 hours after DD#1 (I was still in the hospital; DD#2 was a much better nurser (or was I just better at it? LOL)

Did it take before you were able to move "fairly" easily?

~about 2 weeks

Did it take before you could get in and out of bed without major pain? Any suggestions on how to make this easier?

~without major pain-- only a week. I was taking Percocet and that really helped. After a week or so, I switched to Motrin. (Both are safe while breastfeeding)

Did it take before you could be fairly self-sufficient as far as getting up and down and doing the basic care things with you and your baby?

~my mom went home after a week, and I did just fine with my older DD (27m) and my newborn, but I still tried to take it as easy as possible (no driving, no outings yet)

Did it take before you stopped bleeding?

~about 10 days, the bleeding all but stopped; then for another 3 weeks I'd get some light bleeding or spotting when I'd "overdo" it-- lift the kids or go for a walk

If you had swelling, how long, where and how bad?

~no swelling (unless you include engorged boobs LOL)

What are your best BFing recommendations, especially to help at night.

~get DH to get up with you, bring the baby and clean diaper to you in bed (I co-slept with my kids but I realize it's not for everyone); if things are not going well for you, please consult a lactation consultant or LLL-- don't give up!; also, nipple pain *will* go away :)

Best wishes to you!

~Tracy, 32w4d with #3 (our first boy)

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-12-2003 - 2:09pm
I have a question about percocet. I had a wisdom tooth extracted and was in extreme pain. AFter the codeine stopped working the dr prescribed percocet. however the pharmacist advised me not to take it unless i absolutely had to and then only if not bfeeding for X number of hours ... he really didn't want me to take it. HOwever at the time DS was 2yrs old and only nursing before bed so he said that would be ok. I still elected not to take it and fortunately, hte worst of the pain was over. did your dr say percocet was OK to take?

sybil
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-12-2003 - 3:04pm
Hi, Sybil--

I was prescribed Percocet *both* times post-C/S and I was exclusively nursing my daughters. My doctor said it was safe and I did not notice any effects on the babies' ability to nurse well. However, I only had one week's worth prescribed with no refills. I took heavy-duty ibuprofen afterwards and felt fine by then.

I think it boils down to the doctor-- very conservative or not when it comes to medications.

HTH

~Tracy