BREASTFEEDING and elective c/s

iVillage Member
BREASTFEEDING and elective c/s
Tue, 05-11-2010 - 2:40pm

Last time I went into labor and ended up with a c/s. No problems with breastfeeding that time. Now I have just learned on another post that often with a scheduled c/s your milk doesn't come in since your body doesn't send those triggers. Thanks to those who mentioned this.

Any recommendations as to how to get things moving pre- and post delivery?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-11-2010 - 3:01pm

Um, my milk came in right away...I know that I was really diligent in my pumping...I've heard that benadryl can inhibit supply, (which a lot of women are given because they react to the pain medication in the spinal and beyond). I found this really interesting article. We all have the same "trigger" (removal of the placenta tells the breasts to start working), but because of all of the other factors that go with the c-section (pain, exhaustion, etc), our body might keep those hormone levels high enough to get milk in as quickly...or something like that...any way, here's the article...lol maybe you can explain it to me...

http://www.breastfeedingbasics.org/cgi-bin/deliver.cgi/content/Anatomy/phy_production.html

Photobucket

Photobucketblinkie

Sarah-busy mommy to Justin, Grace, Isabelle, Boyd, and expecting another miracle in August.Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-11-2010 - 3:13pm

Hey Sarah! Must be naptime at your house;-)

As much as I could get out of that article it looks like I may not have any trouble producing milk this time too.

Someone had commented on another posting about preparing for a scheduled c/s that sometimes breastfeeding can be difficult since you aren't "primed" by labor. But then I didn't know what spurred the production, I thought it was just birth and breastfeeding. I hadn't heard this so of course it is now one more thing to obsess over. I think she took Frenugeek(?).

ETA: Doh! That was you taking the frenugeek. Poster above you had trouble with milk coming in.
Make a pregnancy ticker

Edited 5/11/2010 3:17 pm ET by threetauruses
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-12-2010 - 2:48pm

I had no problem with milk coming in with any of my

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-12-2010 - 4:49pm

lol not naptime..it's been crappy weather so I turned on the TV...little TV zombies...hahahaha

On another note, I've been able to express colostrum (which I know isn't a sign of high milk production) but it's the first time ever, so I'm weirdly excited by it...like it's a sign everything will be different this time around (in a good way)

Photobucket

Photobucketblinkie

Sarah-busy mommy to Justin, Grace, Isabelle, Boyd, and expecting another miracle in August.Photobucket
Photobucket