New, planning #3

iVillage Member
New, planning #3
Wed, 05-12-2010 - 4:29pm

Hello. This will be my third c/s but my first planned c/s. Last time was a home VBAC transfer because I pushed for an extremely long time. My decision not to go for the VBA2C is coming as a huge shock to anyone that knows me.

I'm using the same dr and hospital I had last time so at least I will know their procedure. I am starting to work on my birth plan. Does anyone have birth plans to share?

I'll be trying to arrange a way to hold the baby sooner. How soon were you able to hold your baby? I've always had to wait over an hour. I'd like to keep the baby with me the whole time and have the newborn exam done in the room.

Also, I had gathered that they often schedule an ERC at 38 weeks. Was this true for you? Did the baby need special help after birth?

Is there anything else different with a ERC vs a C/S after a long labor?

Jeska

Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-12-2010 - 4:45pm

1st of all, I would suggest that you wait until at least 39 weeks..new studies are indicating that 38 weeks is still a "touch" too early for babies to come out...

2) Birth Plan

One thing I've done is hire a postpartum doula. OB said "probably" she won't be allowed in surgery, but the second I am sent to recovery, she can be there to help me get started on nursing. Where I delivered last time, babies are always "roomed in" with mothers..only "sick" babies go to the nursery or NICU...so the initial evaluation was done while I was getting "put back together" and then they took baby to recovery and watched him/her there...typically, they will let you hold baby while you're in recovery, but mine weren't doing well, so they went to the NICU. My reasons for hiring a doula come from that experience. DH was sent to NICU with kids...I was left alone in recovery and had no idea what was going on. Then, I was sent to post partum room, and I still had no idea what was going on. At the "old" hospital, no one was allowed in recovery with me, so I couldn't send my mom. Now, my mom will be babysitting my kids, so I needed someone there to be my eyes, ears, legs, etc if it were necessary. If all is well, I want baby to breast as soon as possible, and since I've struggled with breastfeeding in the past, I want the doula right there to help...rather than wait for a LC from the hospital. Okay, so here is my Birth PLan

-Arrive to hospital, get iv's and monitoring done.
-No reglan.
-Have doula arrive prior to surgery. Tell nurses I want baby in arms during recovery. Introduce doula to nurses, explain she is there to help with bfeeding..they need to get her as soon as I'm out of surgery..(unless I can talk them into letting her into OR)
-After initial baby evaluation, I want to hold baby while being stitched up. If they need to then take baby while I go to recovery, okay, but I'd prefer to keep baby on chest while they wheel me out or in DH's arms.
-In recovery, I want baby to breast (if baby is doing well).
-If breastfeeding is going well, send doula home :)
-Private time with DH, baby and me.
-No visitors until late that afternoon or next day.

Photobucket

Photobucketblinkie

Sarah-busy mommy to Justin, Grace, Isabelle, Boyd, and expecting another miracle in August.Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-12-2010 - 5:04pm

Thank you. Yeah I actually prefer to go into labor naturally but we'll see.

This hospital has no recovery room. Last time I just laid in the OR by myself for 45 minutes after I was stitched up. It was just torture laying there waiting.

Jeska

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-13-2010 - 1:11am

Hey Jeska! Congratulations on the new baby to be!! I think that we were both on the MMB board...

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-13-2010 - 11:29pm

Thanks! That's helpful! I hope to talk w/ the doctor at my first appt Tuesday about the birth date.

Jeska