C-section on Monday

iVillage Member
C-section on Monday
Thu, 06-03-2010 - 5:13pm
My first son was born by c-section. But it was not planned. It was decided after a few hours in labor and delivery that c-section was the best option. So while I am well aware of what happens during a c-section and afterward I am new to the pre surgery prep. Does any one have any tips or info to share with me? What should I do on Sunday to prepare for Monday? Is there anything you did or brought with you that made it all easier? I am more excited then nervous. But I still want to feel well prepared. I have my last OB appointment on Friday. So I will get the low down on what they want me to do before hand. Just curious if anyone else has any thoughts or words of encouragement before I go.

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-03-2010 - 9:37pm

Request from your doctor that he NOT have you drink Reglan (if he does it..not all do)...it tastes awful, and from what I can tell, serves no real purpose. I puked mine up after drinking it, and they said, "oh well, we won't have you do it again, it's not that important..."

I just packed the "normal" stuff (lol other than labor balls and such) I did bring lots of "soft, stretchy" clothes for my long hospital stay...I didn't want to stay in a nightgown for 3-4 days!! Same thing for baby..I liked dressing her in her own clothes...Lots of magazines to read, etc...

Ask for an abdominal belt..they usually have some..and it makes getting up and walking around SO much easier/less painful..a lot of people buy them, but I like to take as many freebies from the hospital as I can get! Also, my preference is to not have visitors...When I had my first c/s it was scheduled, and I had a room full of people..when they had trouble getting an iv, 2 people almost fainted, ..then there was the "puking" episode that my dad was SURE to film...ugh...I just don't like "comments" from the peanut gallery when I'm trying to stay centered...my 2nd we didn't have anybody except DH, and it was SO much better.

Photobucket

Photobucketblinkie

Sarah-busy mommy to Justin, Grace, Isabelle, Boyd, and expecting another miracle in August.Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-04-2010 - 1:21am

Amy Lynn - Welcome and congrats on your new little boy!

The one thing that comes to mind for me about my C section that was planned vs. the two that were emergency that I wish I did... shave the incision area. With my unplanned C's they did it after the spinal was given, but with the planned C it was part of the prep procedure and honestly, it was a bit uncomfortable!

Other than that, I can't think of anything in particular that I'd recommend for the night before with the exception of trying to get some sleep - eat a fairly hearty meal if you can b/c it will be awhile before they let you eat anything solid again and make sure that everything is arranged for your hospital stay!

G/L with your upcoming birth!!

Photobucket