any books you'd recommend?

iVillage Member
any books you'd recommend?
Fri, 06-04-2010 - 3:54pm

Can you tell I am starting to sweat this c/s?

I asked the OB I saw the other day if he had any recommendations and he just gave me the obligatory poor-little-neurotic-mother "you'll do just fine" response. I am assuming I'll do fine but I would like to have as much info regarding recovery as possible, jacka**!!!

I never knew it helps to wear a belly bandit during recovery and it wasn't any little nugget of info the hospital cared to lass along. So I am looking for things like that... and anything can can offer suggestions for how to slowly get back in shape. I've found several on Amazon, but figured I would get advice from you all first.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-04-2010 - 4:38pm

I haven't found any..our old cable carrier had a great series on demand for "post partum mothers" as far as getting in shape...exercises geared towards strengthening your core and using the baby as part of your routine....Our new "carrier" doesn't have anything like it, but maybe you can find a video series.

Let me know if you find any books...I certainly haven't seen any, and I've read every pregnancy book I could find..(lol 7 weeks of complete bedrest will do that to a person). My childbirth instructor told me about the band since we were pretty sure I'd c/s the twins...All of my info has been word of mouth...lol maybe we should write a book just for c/s!

Photobucket

Photobucketblinkie

Sarah-busy mommy to Justin, Grace, Isabelle, Boyd, and expecting another miracle in August.Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-04-2010 - 6:23pm
I have an old book from the 70's called the Cesarean Birth Experience, which is good, and there are some used on Amazon for $1. I also see there is the Essential C Section Guide and Cesarean Recovery there with good reviews. ICAN has some articles on cesarean recovery here:
http://www.ican-online.org/recovery/recovering-cesarean-tips-healing
http://www.ican-online.org/recovery/recovering-a-cesarean-birth

Jeska

Photobucket
Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-04-2010 - 7:07pm
Forgot to add. I had a very easy fast recovery with my second cesarean. I was much better nourished and had been very active until delivery day. They gave me the belly band (never had it with #1) but I didn't see that it made any difference. I think the most important things I did were; lots of rest very limited activity the first 5 days until I felt more energetic, I used a wound healing salve of calendula and comfrey on the incision for a few days after I got home. Alternately I kept it very dry, to promote healing, with a hair dryer 3 times a day and clean dry dressings (it was hot and it kept getting really sweaty). Kept taking all my nutritional supplements (probiotics and iron especially), ate high iron foods and "warm" nourishing foods. By day 7 I was pretty active, by day 10 I walked a lot and by day 14 I felt 95% normal.

Jeska

Photobucket
Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-05-2010 - 1:07am

That's a great question -- you know, I don't have any good C Section books, but if you get one, please let us know! A lot of my research has been through this board (over the years) and on the internet...

I think the typical recovery items to consider are:

- Freezing meals
- Getting help for the first week
- Taking it easy and not trying to be too active
- Stay on top of medications
- Watch for signs of infection (oozing, smelly discharge, fever)
- Listen to your body
- Stay active during pregnancy to encourage easier recovery
- Get naps/sleep/nutrition as much as possible given that you have a newborn

When are you scheduled? I can't believe it's coming up so soon!! :)

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-07-2010 - 10:11am

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up ordering "The Essential C-Section Guide: Pain Control, Healing at Home, Getting Your Body Back, and Everything Else You Need to Know About a Cesarean Birth". I'll let you all know how it is.

I think the hardest part to recovery will be staying on top of the pain meds and not trying to do too much. I love DH dearly and he can be a huge help, but by nature he is lazy around the house and won't think to get things done unless I ask. And even then he can be somewhat resentful.

Photobucket