how many is too many?

iVillage Member
how many is too many?
Sun, 06-06-2010 - 7:34pm

My OB jumped the gun IMO with DD #1 and I ended up with a csec.

With DD #2 we waited as long as we could before scheduling a second csec.

This fall, we're going to TTC #3 (a boy, hopefully) and have been told vbac is out of the question.

If we don't end up with a boy we will try for a fourth, but that's my limit.

Question is: how many is too many csecs?

Photobucket
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-06-2010 - 8:40pm
I think it depends on the person...I have very little scar tissue from mine and could probably have several more, but I won't be after my third one. My friend had really bad scar tissue and was told after her last one that she could "probably" have one more, but it would be a rather "hairy" surgery. (increased scar tissue leads to more bleeding...plus there's a chance the placenta will attach to the scar tissue which might lead to a hysterectomy). I think this is a good conversation to have with your OB...especially when he/she does the next surgery, he/she will have a better idea if you can tolerate another one. I know someone who had 7 before having her tubes tied...she was still okay to have more, but she was done having kids :)
Photobucket

Photobucketblinkie

Sarah-busy mommy to Justin, Grace, Isabelle, Boyd, and expecting another miracle in August.Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 12:10am

I agree with Sarah that it really depends on you, but it also depends on your doctor. There have been plenty of women here who have been told by their doctor that they won't do C sections over three.

I've had 3 and I'm planning my 4th in November... God willing, I'll have one more after that. I do have some significant scar tissue - but it's nothing that my doctor is worried about.

She's always told me that the biggest risk after you've had 4 Cs is that the placenta will have abnormalities in terms of the way it grows around the scar. Previa, Accreta, etc. are much more common in women who have higher number of C sections.

If a doctor tells you "no" be sure to ask the "Why" question and get a second opinion. The doc is required to write up surgical notes around the state of your uterus, scar tissue, etc. which another doc should be able to interpret.

G/L to you! I hope you get your little boy!!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 3:33pm

I was just reading the statistics on placental abnormalities with multiple cesareans a few days ago. The risk goes up exponentially with every section. I'm doubtful I would want to get pregnant again after 3 cesareans. I've had two and am pregnant again. I was encouraged to go for a VBA2C just in case I did decide to have a 4th child.

Jeska

Photobucket
Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-18-2010 - 11:42pm

I have had three Cs right now.

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-24-2010 - 12:45pm
I'm afraid that isn't the worst case scenario. Risks of other placental issues like previa and abruption also go up which can cause death of the baby and or mother. Mainly I'm concerned about the placenta separating during the pregnancy. We've already had a stillbirth and don't want to go there again. If the placenta separates it means death for the baby and the mother can bleed to death before you can even get to a hospital. Losing a uterus would be hard but sometimes accreta also causes maternal death via hemorrhage. Placenta previa or the increased risk for ectopic pregnancies after cesarean births isn't anything I'm happy about risking either. There's also the unfortunate case where the placenta attaches to the scar and they have to cut through the placenta just to get the baby out which is obviously risky.

Jeska

Photobucket
Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-17-2010 - 8:43am
Lol! Wow Jeska, you worry about a lot.

I have had 6 csections, I'll be having my seventh in July. We are stopping with this one, but only because we are done changing diapers after this one :D we figure about 22 yeas of always having someone wearing one is enough. Do I know something could go wrong? Something canto wrong walking to your car, crossing the street, driving to work. Way higher risk actually! Life is an adventure. Live it to your adventuresome level haha! We are, no regrets.
mysig

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-20-2010 - 8:56pm
Thank you for sharing your story! It's always nice to find women who have had more than 2 or 3 C Sections! I just had my 6 week post partum appointment for C section #4 and would love to have one more.

There ARE increasing risks with each C section but each person's liklihood for those complications will be due to their own medical situation. Even at the max rates, the odds of these complications are only around 1.5%. There are also increasing risks with vaginal births but no one seems to worry about them in the same way as increasing numbers of C sections!

I hope you'll continue to post on our board or at least come back to give us an update on #7!

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-23-2011 - 9:33pm

I think it all depends on the person.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-26-2011 - 9:53pm
Interesting read. I've had 3 c/s's and would really love one more baby. My kids are very spaced out so lots of time to heal in between. A family member, however, recently had a uterine rupture at 28 weeks resulting in the baby dying and the mother in intensive care near death for over a week. That really scared me as this person hadn't even had a previous c-section, but rather a cyst removed a couple of years ago. It was terrifying! I am a little older now and know how much my kids need me and even the thought that me having another baby could risk me being there for my other kids scares me. But, I'd really love one more!! What to do?