having 3rd c-section

iVillage Member
having 3rd c-section
Thu, 06-24-2010 - 9:19pm
Hi, I'm new to this board. I have had three kids one vaginal and two c-sections. This is my first "planned" c-section and I'm not sure what to request or how to make it special. I would appreciate any suggestions.
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-24-2010 - 10:43pm

I just bumped up "advice for 1st time c/s moms"

there's a lot of good information in there. Best of luck with your 3rd c/s! I'm having my third one in about 6 weeks :)

PhotobucketPhotobucketblinkiePhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sarah-busy mommy to Justin, Grace, Isabelle, Boyd, and expecting another miracle in August.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-25-2010 - 1:41am

Hi and welcome! Congrats on baby #4 and C section #3. I've had 3 C sections and I'm planning my 4th for November. My first was an emergency after 4 hours of pushing, the second was a failed VBAC attempt and the 3rd was scheduled. I will also schedule my 4th.

I think you'll find that a schedule C is a nice change from an emergency... you choose your date, have some control over the procedure, etc. In addition to the thread that Sarah pointed to, I'd also encourage you to look at the birthplan post that is in the next set of folders. It might give you some ideas too!

G/L with your upcoming birth and feel free to jump in with any specific questions that you might have!

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-25-2010 - 1:16pm
Thank you for the welcome and advice, I will be sure to check out the info. I'm hoping a planned C-section will be easier than an emergency. I also had c/s from an emergency and failed vbac.

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 9:18am
Those of you who have replied that are having 3rd or 4th csections, are you not scared and worried about the risks??
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 11:27am

I'm not worried about the risk because in my case, it's my last baby. My last two were beautifully healed, very little scar tissue, etc. The worst case scenario that I was given would be that they'd have to remove the uterus. Again, for me, I'm not worried (other than recovery) just because I am DEFINITELY done, and I figure, "well, no more periods." I suppose I tend to make light of stuff that I can't control. I did everything I could to attempt a vbac, and it's not going to happen. I have a much greater risk of uterine rupture than of something going wrong in the c/s. The facts are that you could have to have a hysterectomy with c/s #1...actually, it could happen with a vaginal delivery even. I had a friend hemorrhage after baby #2, and they were wheeling her to the OR to do surgery when she miraculously stopped bleeding.

Childbirth is SO incredibly common that we have forgotten that it's REALLY dangerous. Medicine has done everything it can to minimize the risk, but there's always going to be risk! So, although I think it's good to know "what can go wrong" I focus on what can go right! This doesn't mean I'm not informed as to the dangers, but I knew the dangers when I chose to get pregnant again. Plus, in my experience, I know a lot of people who have had 3+ c/s and none of them have had any complications. So, I guess I just kind of cling to "real life experience" rather than stuff I read on the internet.

PhotobucketPhotobucketblinkiePhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sarah-busy mommy to Justin, Grace, Isabelle, Boyd, and expecting another miracle in August.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 07-10-2010 - 2:03am

I'm not worried about the risks because I have heard too many success stories of people having up to 6 c/s. I have had 3 surgeries in the same place...I had a cystectomy and they went over that scar for the first c/s(no problems), they went over it again for the second c/s; it was the end of the dr's shift and she was sooo tired, it was all she could talk about(not very comforting) anyway, she butchered me and the middle of my scar didn't heal well but I didn't have any major complication. This time around my c/s is scheduled and I feel as though I picked a competent dr who has the proper skill, he also said he would "clean up" the scar tissue that's been left behind. I am completely at ease this time around.

I wouldn't end a pregnancy just because of a "risk" that also might not happen. Find a doctor that you believe knows what they are doing so you can feel safe.

I'm with pp, this is for sure my last baby! So I'm not too concerned about complications inhibiting my ability to have another child. It sounds to me, judging by your concern, that this would be your last baby too. Be sure of your decision before making any rash decisions based off of medical "scare tactics."

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-10-2010 - 10:19pm

I had my 4th c-section (1st one~emergency, 2nd,3rd,4th planned) in March. I was nervous, certainly, but knowing that this was my last baby i was willing to take the risk. I had a lot of scar tissue built up, and an anterior placenta, but everything turned out find. My

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 2:08pm

I am having my 4th section in November and hope for one more after that. My doctor has been very straight forward with me about the risks - the biggest issues are placental -- none of which I have signs of. My doc is not worried and she has done 7, 8, 9 sections for women before.

Photobucket