Eating before scheduled c section

iVillage Member
Eating before scheduled c section
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 1:35pm

Hi-

I just found out today that my doctor's office scheduled my c/s for noon and I need to be at the hospital at 10:30am. From some of the research I've found-it looks like I can't eat before I go in? How is that possible? I am always starving!Is that true? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 2:28pm

My instructions for pre-surgery say not to eat anything after midnight the night before my surgery. I don't have a surgery time scheduled yet. It does say that I can brush my teeth (thanks for that bone) and have a small amount of water before coming to the hospital. Water is the ONLY fluid allowed.

I read in my c/s book that light meals - nothing fried or cooked in oils is the way to go. They even suggest a semi-liquid diet 48 hours prior to surgery to aid in recovery (gas, constipation, etc)

Since your surgery is at noon I would confirm with your OB when your last meal should be - maybe they woul let you eat a little something in the am?

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 2:40pm

I hope they let me eat something-otherwise I am going to wake up at like 2:00am and eat a sandwich.

I called them back and left a message to see if there was an earlier time-I pulled the "I have GD and is it safe for me not to eat all day" card :) Hopefully that works :)

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 5:58pm

My surgeries have always been early (check in at 5am) so the "no eating" rule has never been an issue. This time, it's a little later, check in is at 7:30, but I think I'll be okay.

My friend has always had late ones, and she stays up til midnight and eats...because she's afraid of being hungry!!

I hope everything works out! I do know that you can't PAY me to eat afterwards...

PhotobucketPhotobucketblinkiePhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sarah-busy mommy to Justin, Grace, Isabelle, Boyd, and expecting another miracle in August.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 6:15pm

Woo hoo I got the early time of 8:00am! :) Now I have to be at the hospital at 6:30 but I want to get it over with so I have more time to recover and hopefully time to ourselves before all the family comes :)

I was so hungry after my last one but I hadn't eaten in almost 2 days!!

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 6:16pm

I ate a big sandwich in the hospital parking lot right before going in for my second cesarean. The anesthesiologist said it was no problem since I wasn't going to be under general anesthesia. I think the OB told me they like a 4 hour gap of no food though so I would just eat a big meal 4 hours before if you don't feel like making your OB mad.

They also let me eat right after surgery. I never missed a meal! It was great!

Jeska

Photobucket
Lilypie Maternity tickers
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 6:18pm

You're lucky...I was very intimate with my bucket the entire day....before surgery (thankfully not during) and after for about 16 hours...

That's one video that's not going on you tube!

PhotobucketPhotobucketblinkiePhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sarah-busy mommy to Justin, Grace, Isabelle, Boyd, and expecting another miracle in August.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-12-2010 - 10:25am
You should not eat 12 hours before the surgery. I was SICK AS A DOG with both of my c-sections right around the time baby was coming out. Partially because my body just hates anesthesia and partially because of all the pushing and shoving they do to get the baby out. If you throw up while laying down you run the risk of aspirating. Getting vomit in your lungs can make you very sick. So no your should not have food in your belly during surgery. I was so nervous and excited before both of my c-sections that I did not notice at all any hunger pains. Your mind is on much more important things at that point.
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 8:17pm
I have had 4 c-sections, all of them scheduled except for my first (emergency due to pre-e & fetal distress). I was told i couldn't eat 12 hours before my c-sections. It was torture, i will admit but i am glad i followed their instructions because each time i was insanely nauseas when the dr (s) delivered my baby, probably from the pressure and everything moving around. After my 1st c-section i didn't get to eat for almost an entire day but my other 3 i was eating clear foods (juice, jello, chicken broth, etc) a few hours after and then regular food within 12 hours.
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 2:38pm

Yay! I'm glad that you got the early time.

I agree with the PPs that they don't want you to eat in case you vomit up food and asprerate into your lungs. That can cause huge issues including pnemonia/infection/serious illness. Statistically the chance is very, very low though.

I had the early C with my last birth and had dinner that evening no problem!

Good luck with everything!!

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 8:07am

I normally hang out on the TTC boards but happened upon here and noticed your question. I am a nurse anesthetist and do anesthesia for living.. The reason we tell you not to eat for 8 hours before any surgery is because of the risk of aspiration. Aspiration is the transfer of stomach contents into the lungs. Pregnant women are at high risk of aspiration for multiple reasons, including the large amount of pressure placed on the GI tract by the full term uterus. Anything over 20 weeks is considered high-risk. The complications of aspiration pneumonitis can be severe up to and incuding ICU stays on a ventilator and even can be fatal. It is no joking matter. I would strongly advise that for the safety of you and your baby you tolerate the relatively short enforced period of fasting. Please remember that we are not trying to be mean or cruel. But trying to keep you safe. I wish you all the best and congratulations on your upcoming arrival.

Kristen

Photobucket
a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket[

Vasectomy 10/2001
VR #1 10/2007-bilateral VV none seen x 3
VR#2 01/2009-bilateral VE none seen (as of 1/2010)
IVF cycle starts 1/3 ER 2/2 ET 2/5 Beta 2/19
Photobucket a href="http://www.TickerFa

Pages