Next baby?

iVillage Member
Next baby?
Wed, 07-21-2010 - 3:21pm
DH and I had some trouble TTC and it took 3 1/2 years and some help from a RE to get pregnant with Wyatt. That is one of the reasons there is such a huge age difference between Bryan and Wyatt. We "think" we have the infertility issue resolved and should not have trouble getting pregnant again. BUT since we had such a hard time last time and because we thought we would be done making all the babies we wanted to have by now we have been talking about how soon to plan out next baby. I am terrified of another long span of time TTC. I don't want a huge span of time between kids again. But I want to wait until it is safe to TTC again. So today at my 6 week check up I asked the midwife how long we should wait before TTC the next baby since I had a c-section. Her answer was 2 YEARS!!! 2 YEARS before even starting to TTC again! And if we have problems again we should not wait a full year or even 6 months. Maybe just 3 months before contacting our RE again. But seriously 2 years???!!! I hope the look of surprise was not to overwhelming on my face. LOL DH wants to start TTC again like yesterday. HA HA HA I was thinking 1 year. I thought next summer right around Wyatt's first birthday we could throw the condoms out the window and start TTC again. But now I am not sure. I do NOT want to wait 2 years to even start trying again. But I don't want to risk my health or the health of our next baby by getting pregnant to early on purpose. Accidents happen and birth control is never 100%. So I am sure it happens often that post c-section mommies end up pregnant again before 2 years. UGH! Now I am rambling because I am still in shock. LOL What have you heard about how long to wait? Do you c-section mommies have any experience? There is an 11 year span between my first and second c-section. So I am completely at a loss because it has never been an issue before. It almost made me sad to think it should be that long before we can do this all over again.

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: amy3lynn3
Wed, 07-21-2010 - 5:32pm
My doctor never said anything between my twins and my DS..probably bc we never expect to get pregnant without medical intervention. SO, he and my twins are 17 months apart (both c/s). He wasn't worried at all..in fact, thought I'd be able to VBAC successfully (but that's a whole other can of worms). After DS was born, he said, "wait at least a year before you start trying..." The "two year" guideline is something I've only heard in regards to VBAC. I think it has to do with the fact your uterus takes 2 years to recover from a birth. But that's 2 years between surgeries, not two years between pregnancies. I'm surprised she'd want you to wait that long to start trying?>>
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Sarah-busy mommy to Justin, Grace, Isabelle, Boyd, and expecting another miracle in August.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-22-2010 - 9:38am
Some doctors will say to wait 9-12 months, that's what I commonly hear. Assuming you healed well from your cesarean. It takes time to heal and also time to build up your nutritional stores (folic acid mainly). In regards to VBAC they recommend 9 months (so 18 months between cesarean and VBAC) for full scar healing. I don't recall ever hearing a two year recommendation. I myself was never given a set time that I had to wait.

Jeska

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-23-2010 - 11:46am

I guess it depends how well your body heals. Atleast for me, I was still in pain after a year. Just now close to two years, my scar has faded and I'm starting to feel normal again. But I carried a very large baby and it took some time for everything to settle in there.

Stick Figure Family at FreeFlashToys.com
Make your
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-26-2010 - 2:17pm

Amy Lynn,

LOL! I am an older Momma (35) that wants a larger family, so I had a very similar situation w/my doc at my PP appt with #2. She told me a year but then really backed off when I questioned a bit and asked why and what purpose it served and ultimately she told me that the minimum was

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-10-2010 - 11:59am

My doctor said a year. And when I blinked at her, she said, "But it's always a delight to see you, so if you're here sooner, that's ok, too." She explained that she wanted me to "get my color back" before we tried to have another baby. We have to schedule my fertility meds around DH's overseas deployments, so we won't be waiting the full year to try. I'm already on the metformin so I can lose weight and regulate my cycles so that we're ready to go when we decide to TTC again. My body isn't ready for another pregnancy yet, so I'm doing all the work I can ahead of time. :-)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-10-2010 - 11:52pm
Photobucket