Roll Call+Housekeeping Rules

iVillage Member
Roll Call+Housekeeping Rules
Wed, 08-04-2004 - 12:46pm

In honor of our new community leader and new folders, I thought I'd take this opportunity to post updated housekeeping rules.

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-04-2004 - 2:27pm

Hi everyone!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-04-2004 - 2:58pm
Hi, I'm Faith.
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-04-2004 - 5:42pm

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-04-2004 - 10:57pm
1. What name would you like us to call you?

My name is Maria Lucia, but you can call me Maria.

2. Where are you from?

I'm from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. So be patient, English is not my first language.

3. What genre(s) of writing do you enjoy?

I would like to write fantasy and romance, but I'm not working in anything right now.

4. What are you writing goals?

just to entertain myself and it helps me to practice my English.

5. What level of feedback are you seeking?

If I'm going to do something, I can as well do it right. So I'll be glad to any feedback you are willing to give.

Kisses

Maria

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2004 - 1:14pm
We have a new cl? I am so far behind. I didn't realize Eleyne had joined us. That's wonderful. I've read some of her critiques on the short story basics board (correct?). She's tough, which can only make us better. Welcome, Eleyne! We've got three killer cl's now.

1. What name would you like us to call you? Yvonne is fine.

2. Where are you from? DFW area in Texas.

3. What genre(s) of writing do you enjoy? I am big on women's literature. I haven't read a book written by a man since Bridges of Madison County(I think that's right.). I just can't stand reading what a man thinks a woman would say/do/think. They are so far off the mark sometimes. Male writers should really have female editors. I am, however, currently reading the Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald for a small writing class I'm taking. He is engaging. My favorite writers are Alice Sebold (Lucky Bones) and Anne Lamott (Bird by Bird). They are both so honest and witty. They hold nothing back. I love it!

4. What are you writing goals? I would love to have a published novel someday. Actually, what I've wanted since I was a little girl is to have a screenplay or stage play produced. This board has really helped me with my novel-form writing, though. (At least I hope it has.) I have also gone back for my degree in Literary Studies with a minor in Creative Writing & Music. If I'm not published, I hope to at least teach literature & writing to high school students or even become a college professor. I'm just not sure I have the smarts to go to that level.

5. What level of feedback are you seeking? I like the line-by-line brutal feedback. I need to know where my mistakes are, what makes sense & what doesn't, and if it even holds your interest. There's point in submitting it to a publisher/agent if no one else cares about it or wants to read it. One thing I would like to express - I have received feedback from cls, but never any other members. I would love to hear what the others think. I would like everyone to feel free to give me feedback.

Thanks!

Yvonne

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2004 - 5:55pm

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-05-2004 - 9:28pm
1. What name would you like us to call you? Maddalena

2. Where are you from? I live in New York, but thankfully have moved out of "the city"

3. What genre(s) of writing do you enjoy? Its hard to describe, but i like fiction, comedic writing, plays, manifestos, writing that makes you question how you see the world (not just morally, but historically).

4. What are you writing goals? Most of my writing is science writing, so i'm emersed in the writing of fact. I'd like to focus on getting my fiction up to speed.

5. What level of feedback are you seeking? so far I've been checking the boards a few times daily, but when the semester starts (ah, college students....), it might get tricky. I'd prefer quite a bit of feedback, but that means something different to everyone, so I don't expect anyone to change their feedback style for me. What I find works best is when a comment is supported by and example from my written work, or from someone else's written work.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-06-2004 - 1:19am

>>Rebekah, soybeck, beck, big crazy wierdo is fine too ;>

2. Where are you from?

>>central Illinois

>>hmmm to read I like Stephen King...not realy horrifying but almost, mystery, historical fiction, and then any factual information on anything I am interested in, one can never learn too much>>to write I'd have to say it's a mixed bag. But looking back on what I've written it all seems tragic and bloody.....yikes.....

4. What are your writing goals?

>>wow, I really don't think I have any....I think first I should strive for a complete story instead of bits and pieces and shreds of threadless plots I have packed in a box maybe someday I can weave them all together into one crazy mixed up story hmmmm......Actually I just write for the joy of it, and I really don't think anyting will ever come of it, much like my photography, I love it, but unless I get stumbled upon I will remain an undiscovered talent.

>>nothing harsh--honesty, enough to make me think but not enough to make me cry :>

have a good weekend! >rebekah<

Rebekah Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-06-2004 - 2:20pm

Welcome, Eleyna!

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-06-2004 - 7:45pm
Hi all and a big welcome to you Eleyne. It's been a very eventful 2 weeks and I'm itching to be able to write again, just too exhausted to do anything. Sigh. No kidding. I have about twenty layers of concealer under my eyes and just saw in the bathroom mirror not just dark -- but totally black circles defying my cosmetics. Doggone need for sleep. lol

Kellie, K9 is fine too if you're in a rush

2. Where are you from?

The very street on which I live today. That is, I'm back in southeastern Michigan -- right on Lake St. Clair. I grew up on this very street and married the boy next door. He was a childhood playmate. I took a detour through Texas, Delaware, and Maine though. I miss Texas and Maine terribly. Boo hoo. But I love being surrounded by family again -- and I love my boy-next-door DH of 9 months.

Mystery, psychological thrillers (is that a genre?), HUMOR, and real-life, in-the-trenches essays and articles. I keep finding unfinished pieces in all these areas as I unpack the rest of the moving boxes.

4. What are you writing goals?

To finish all those unfinished pieces of course. Short-term goal: to submit something and get over the big scary hump THAT entails. Long-term is to get published and have at least one person that I don't know enjoy my work.

Hard-core -- just so long as there is at least one positive thing mixed in. lol

Pages